A little respect for Oregon State?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by flabengal, Jul 27, 2004.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Just checking Phil Steele's preseason magazine and came across these stats for Oregon St. vs. USC last year:

Oregon St. USC
    First Downs 26 17

Total Yards 543 388

I know the final score was 52-28 but I had no idea OSU put up those kind of numbers.....also OSU defense only gave up 2.5 yards per carry rushing and collected 33 sacks for the year. Steele has their D projected as #2 in the Pac-10.

I know they lost their star running back to the NFL but they don't seem to be the Pac-10 cupcake you might think. Apparently they've got a helluva quarterback too, as streaky as he is. With the QB situation for LSU a question mark and the game being the first game of the year I can't help but get the feeling it may be a closer game than we might like. Anybody else think the 17 point spread is way off? The game's a long way off but I don't see LSU coming out and lighting it up with the passing game and as good as JV is, it's tough to run if that's all you've got....scoring 30+ on these guys might be too much to ask. I know USC did it but that was their last game of the year with Leinart and Mike Williams in top form.......hope LSU puts the beatdown on 'em but if I had to I would take the points....

2. lsuj2006

lsuj2006 Founding Member

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

3. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

And as we know, the #2 D in the Pac-10 rivals that of Miss St.

4. dothantiger

dothantiger Founding Member

Watching that last USC game was extremely frustrating for me. Hell yea Oregon St. had those kind of numbers! If it wasn't for the turnovers, I truly believe Oregon St. would've won that game!

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

These stats attest to the suckazz ability of the USC defense to stop the pass.

The USC defense against the pass was nearly at the bottom of the NCAA statistics ... and they cock-a-doodle-do about their great USC defense.

These poor bastids will get a good taste of great pass defense when they show up on September 4th.

Look for lots of INTs during the game ... and LSU pounding OSU right up the weak and inexperienced gut.

~R~O~U~T~ ... get yo' money on LSU early and give those 17 points

6. DJ

DJ Founding Member

OSU has never seen anything like LSU's defense. If Oklahoma (the No. 1 offense in the nation going into the Sugar Bowl, with a Heisman winner at QB) couldn't move the ball on LSU, why does anyone think OSU can do it, and especially without their ace RB from last year? Derek Anderson is nowhere near the equal of Eli Manning who, it should be remembered, also did NOT move the ball much against LSU.

Whether LSU covers the spread will be determined by how well the LSU offense matches up against the OSU defense, and particularly whether JV and Ally can move the ball against OSU. If JV and Ally can run on OSU on a reasonably consistent basis, LSU should be able to cover a 17-point spread.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm hoping Oregon State will be several cuts above the usual cupcake opener. It should be a good game.

But this was supposed to be the year we would get some payback on those chickensh!t bastards from Virginia Tech.

8. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

There's a good article on collegefootballnews.com about the season opener. They're calling for a good game (at least no blow-out). I'd post the link but my computer skills are at about the same level as my college football prognosticating. That is poor and not showing considerable signs of improvement.......

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

College Football News & Peter Fiu" have their heads up their collective azzes this year.

FACT: OSU has nothing .... nothing .... nothing ....

not a prayer

~T~O~ ~S~T~O~P~ ~T~H~E~ ~L~S~U~ ~R~U~S~H~I~N~G~ ~A~T~T~A~C~K~

LSU will stick to a pounding running attack and high percentage play action passes and wipe out OSU with a devastating defensive.

I hope Vegas keeps a 17-point spread on the game ...

LOL, Fiu and the boys even picked Auburn to upset LSU ... most humorous. :hihi: After LSU blows out both these teams ... look for CollegeFootballnews.com to be jumping on the LSU bandwagon :thumb:

10. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

They are certainly an opponent to be respected...

Should be a sense of urgency in fall camp with a worthy opponent sitting at position #1 on the schedule, however...

it will take a decidedly subpar effort from the Tigers to lose this one. Passing for the Beavers should be difficult, which will make running the ball even tougher. LSU should find running the ball productive which will help open up the passing game.

LSU has alot better talent and depth that OSU. Both will be playing game #1. Hopefully both teams play to their potential and we get a good OOC win to start the season. I'd like to see both teams play well because we should still win by 14-21 points and it will do our guys good to be in a competitive game right off the bat.

I think LSU -17 is about right.

:lsug:
    :champs: