A must see clip on your new opponent!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gohokies4ever, Jul 27, 2002.

1. gohokies4ever

gohokies4ever Freshman

Many Tigers think the Hokies won't have the upper with the game in Blacksburg because you guys face SEC opponents with huge stadiums, etc.

Here's an audio clip that might make you think otherwise.

http://www.21cent.net/vick/crowd2.ram

2. gohokies4ever

gohokies4ever Freshman

Special Teams play

Also, special teams! Special teams play will be big for the Hokies. Unfortunately, we lost our great punt return man (Andre Davis) to the NFL, and as of yesterday, lost the guy (Eric Green) who led the team in blocked kicks last year to an ACL injury. He's the guy who blocks this kick (in the video) against Miami last year.

Last year VT had 7 blocked kicks! In the 90's, VT had 40% more blocked kicks than anyone else in Division I. Plus, we consistently rank near the top in punt and kickoff returns, and yards allowed on punts and kickoffs.

http://mknx.com/v/blockedkick.wmv

3. StLee

StLee Founding Member

At least the Tigers won't have to worry about having any kicks blocked by Green! :)

The homefield advantage is a factor in all major college games. I can give you a prime example of a team who no one really thinks about having a tough home crowd except the teams that play them: the Arkansas Razorbacks. Both Fayetteville and Little Rock have become tough wins for SEC (and non-conference) teams.

Virginia Tech has a definite advantage because the home crowd will be excited about playing an early-season non-conference game. Right now I give the Hokies the slight (and I do mean slight) advantage.

4. TigerSaint

TigerSaint Guest

Special teams can be the difference in winning or losing. VT is known for their excellent S.T. and Saban knows this. Saban will use an opponent's strength against them.

This will be a hard fought game. The crowd will be a factor but in the end, LSU's superiority will be the deciding factor. LSU's D is awesome and will punish whoever is QB at the time. We lost Davey but gained a SUPERFAST QB that will surprise everyone with his passing. LSU is loaded.

I like the Hokies and their fans so it's nothing personal, I just don't think many schools, VT Tech included realize just how much more dominant the SEC is than any other conference. Illinios fans sure realized it after the Sugar Bowl. Many were insulted that they were playing a 3 loss team.

It should be a great game. In the end though LSU will win despite the passion of VTech's fans

PS- I'll also say that if Miami played in the SEC, they wouldn't be the NC. PERIOD

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I dont predict things.

First question - Do you think Vick will start so soon ??? I look forward to watching him play.

But I agree with the above Post. Last year in the Sugar Bowl the Illini fans prior to the game were saying how the Big 10 this and LSU that.

Well we know the beating that the Illini took. Illini (The Big 10 champs and a team many people thought should be considered as a National Champion contender) said we were much faster and bigger, and never really stood a chance.

I have respect for VT, but you are already making the mistake many out of the SEC schools make. Under estimating the stength of the SEC.

The SEC is the best conference in football, that is not my opinion but the opinion of MOST sports writers. Some argue the Big 12 but top to bottom the SEC is hands down the leader.

So brace yourself for speed you have only seen when you play Miami.

Like I said, y'all have homefield, and a day game. So who knows should be a good game.

I am looking so forward to experience VT's stadium. I have heard great things about VT fans and the stadium experience.

However I have not seen one post here saying we think you guys are inferior in stadium etc etc. I think ALL of us have tremendous respect for VT, and if we are fortunate to win we will celebrate the victory over a great team, and if we lose we will lose graciously.

Note watch the SEC championship, most of those play makers save Josh Reed will be back..... Get to know

Double D
    Toe
    Clayton
    Mauck
    Bradie James

Just to name a few.

Geaux Tigers.

6. Marcus Vick

I'm not sure if Vick is going to play so soon or not. I never thought he would until some of the comments from the coaching staff have me thinking he might just be the man. They're saying that he's going to get the majority of the snaps early on in practice to see how far along he is. And they're always talking about how he's so much more adapt to the game and VT scheme at this point that Michael was. Beamer is saying that Marcus reminds him enough of Michael to make him smile!! That is very good news for Hokie fans. Will he start against LSU? Probably not, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

If we don't self distruct before playing you guys, we'll be okay. We've been suffering a lot of early injuries and one of the keys to our D, JUCO player Jimmy Williams, won't be eligible until mid-August (if then) so we'll see.

As for the SEC being the toughest conference. I've got one thing to say about that, "ABSOLUTELY"! Hands down, the SEC is the best with no other conferenc even close. However, the best of the other conferences are just as good as the best in the SEC, but no other conference can match the depth that the SEC has.

The Big 12 is the most overated conference in college football. Nebraska beats Oklahoma so they must be good. Oklahoma beats Texas so they must be good. Oklahoma St. beats Oklahoma, well, that's just a fluke. Colorodo beats Nebraska and Texas so they should be in the MNC, even though they lost to "Fresno State" and some other school. They're reasoning for saying the teams in the Big 12 is very circular. None of them did very well in Bowl games last year against competition outside the conference.

The Big East isn't as bad as it's rep either. True, after Miami, VT, BC, Syracuse, and sometimes Pitt, the conference is horrible, but those 5 teams are pretty good. In fact, other than VT's loss to FSU last year, the other 4 teams of the Big East swept their Bowl games.

I'm banking that LSU is the season for VT. The LSU game will set the tone for the rest of the season. If playmakers step up at QB and reciever, and another sack-master or two develop at D-end, we'll be a team to reckon with this season. I can't wait!

9/1/02 here we come!

7. TexasTigers

gohokies4ever.

Great post, and I agree it is nice to have opposing fans with the class you show.
    We are used to Auburn fans, be thankful you dont have to deal with Auburn Fans.

Anyway stick around.

As far as opening day being your or our season. Dont be so sure. If LSU loses I will be dissapointed. But we thought the sky was falling after Ole Miss last year. People were up in arms, Saban for the first time was under fire from fans and media.

To be honest, LSU fans did everything they are not supposed to do.
    ANyway my point, after that loss. We rattle of 6 and finish 7th in the nation, and raise and SEC and Sugar Bowl Championship.

I dont expect either of us to win a National Championship next year. But regardless of who wins. We still have many to play.

I learned a valuable lesson last year. Dont give up, and let the coach coach.

Geaux Tigers

Cannot wait until Opening day, and the chance to meet the fine people of Virginia Tech.

Geaux Tigers

8. LSU vs. VT

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure if Auburn fans are as bad as WVU fans, (I don't see how they could be), but I'm glad that Hokie fans aren't acting like that. I recently saw a picture with a little 4 year old boy wearing an Auburn shirt flipping off the camera at a football game. I'm sure it was photo-shopped but I guess those shows a glimpse of what

I'm as passionate about VT football as you'll find anywhere, but I recognize that other programs out there do exist too, and are sometimes better than we are.

I don't necessarily think either of us will be in a position to make a run for the MNC either, but we both are programs on the rise. LSU has quickly emerged as one of the premier teams in the SEC and is no longer second tier to Tennessee and Florida.

After looking at the preview or your team and knowing ours, we are almost exact replicates of each other. Both of us will feature a young but talented QB, a great running game, and a very tough defense with ?-marks at certain positions.

This should be a great game and I'm looking forward to seeing the 6000!!! LSU fans in Lane stadium. I'm sure it will be a pleasant experience for all of you.

This should be a great game and I'm looking forward to seeing the 6000!!! LSU fans in Lane stadium. I'm sure it will be a pleasant experience for all of you.

9. LSU vs. VT (part 2)

I'll agree with you to an extent that the season is much longer than just the LSU game for us, but I think the LSU game will really set the tone for the rest of the season. We usually start the season slow with weak competition and then as we work our way into the schedule, we tend to be a little under-prepared for the better competition initially. I guess guys don't get burned for mistakes and getting out of position in the weaker games, but when they repeat those bad habits in tougher games, it really hurts the team.

We will most likely be starting true sophomore Bryan Randall at QB. He holds the record for the only player to rush for 2000 yards and throw for 2000 yds in one season in high school (and he did it twice). He's a Michael Vick type of player, only a little slower and not as strong of an arm. If not him, we will probably start true freshmen Marcus Vick. In either case, the LSU game will be critical for these guys!

During Mike Vick's first season and our run at the MNC game, he started out mediocre with flashes of brilliance. For instance, during our second game of the season, (against Clemson), Vick threw 3 interceptions, but picked up some crucial 3'rd down conversions, and had a beautiful flip into the end zone. The defense won that game for us but Vick's season was just getting started.

During the WVU game, VT was down by 2 with 52 seconds left in the game and the ball at the 20 yard line. Vick, who struggled earlier in the game, then completed every pass and had a huge scramble to set up the game-winning field goal. Michael Vick was never the same after that game. Something clicked inside of him and his fantastic after that. Andre Davis, who was a sophomore at the time, had missed 3 wide-open passes that could have been TDs in that game but caught a big pass for a TD at the end. He was Vick's favorite target after that and one of VT's best ever receivers for that season.

I think the LSU game will be that kind of game for VT's team. It will present the opportunity for playmakers to develop. We have a lot of talent and potential at key spots on offense and defense and I think the LSU game will be give the guys in those positions the confidence to finish the rest of the season strong, or it will give those guys an inferiority complex for the rest of the season.

10. TexasTigers

You make excellent points. I think both of us will look at this game to see who we are because both teams are "very good" teams AND both will be ranked.

I assume Suggs will be full strength ???
    He is a very impressive player. He reminds me of our Labrandon Toefield....
    I hope Vick does not start against us, just because if he is anything like his brother, he poses a threat that we usually dont see in the SEC, a QB that can run like the wind. If Noel doesn't start sounds like thats what we will face regardless.
    I am really looking forward to seeing if he is like his brother.

I assumed Noel will start, but I read somewhere he is hurt, will it effect his mobility ? but you claim otherwise, I will take your word more then that buffoon Mel Kiper.
    Dont know much about the other QB.

Man I cannot wait for this game, what a barn burner to start the season.

Geaux Tigers.

We look forward to having VT fans come enjoy South Louisiana and the college football experience we have to offer.
    (Although I believe that is in two years)