A Parting Shot

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

I tried all day to be on my best behavior in your house. In parting for the day I just wanted to say kiss my ass.

Just kidding everybody (it did feel kind of good though :grin: )

Seriously I hope everyone has a good evening and someone can come back tomorrow and tell me what a coonass is :hihi:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are coonasses and there are horses asses. In between there is Mississippi. :grin: :grin: :grin:

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I was a bit worried that your "Parting Shot" title meant you were leaving the board.

Since you seem to be a pretty decent AU fan, I for one would hate to see you go.

I want as many Aubie fans around as possible to watch them eat crow come September 18. :thumb:

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

What's the difference between a coonass and a jack ass?

The Sabine River. :grin:

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Coonass is a controversial term in the Cajun lexicon: to some Cajuns it is regarded as the supreme ethnic slur, meaning "ignorant, backwards Cajun"; to others the term is a badge of pride, much like the word Chicano is for Mexican Americans. In South Louisiana, for example, one can often see bumper stickers reading "Warning — Coonass on Board!" or "Registered Coonass" (both of which generally depict a raccoon’s backside). The word’s origin is unclear: folk etymology claims that coonass dates from World War II, when Cajun GIs serving in France were derided by native French speakers as conasse, meaning "dirty whore" or "idiot." Non-French-speaking American GIs allegedly overheard the expression, converted it to the English "coonass," and introduced the term back in the United States. There it supposedly soon caught on as a derisive term among non-Cajuns, who encountered many Cajuns in Gulf Coast oilfields. It is now known, however, that coonass predated the arrival of Cajun GIs in France during World War II, which undermines the conasse theory. Indeed, folklorist Barry Jean Ancelet has long rejected this theory, calling it "shaky linguistics at best." He has suggested that the word originated in South Louisiana, and that it derived from the belief that Cajuns frequently ate raccoons. He has also proposed that the term contains a negative racial connotation: namely, that Cajuns were "beneath" or "under" blacks (or coons, as blacks were often called by racists). Despite efforts by Cajun activists like James Domengeaux and Warren A. Perrin to stamp out the term’s use, coonass continues to circulate in South Louisiana and beyond. Its acceptability among the general public, however, tends to vary according to circumstances, and often depends on who says it and with what intention. Cajuns who dislike the term have been known to correct well-meaning outsiders who use the epithet.

6. Proud Tiger

MLUTiger.....thanks. Interesting stuff. Sounds as good as some of the stories
    about where War Eagle came from. Maybe War Eagles and coonasses would
    hit it off pretty good. :grin: :grin:

7. Proud Tiger

Nah not leaving but do need to quit posting so much. Since it looks like I'm about the only Aubie posting here much, if I left ya'll wouldn't have any Aubie to whip up on :grin: :grin:

I won't be eating crow Sept. 18 because I haven't been making any rash statements. Want to give me Auburn and the Sheridan point spread now? :grin:

8. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I am a dirty whore :thumb:

9. AuburnFan

AuburnFan Freshman

a dirty whore?

I thought in order to be a dirty whore that someone would have to be willing to sleep with you???

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Proud Tiger, you are a congenial guyest and a good poster, you're welcome on this board.