.......a pay raise for Leslie

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jester

Jester Founding Member

OK, I'm just gonna throw this out there and I might get some flack for it, but honestly, even if Michigan offers Miles $5 mil +, I really don't see any reason why we shouldn't match or surpass it.

There are alot of people saying that they think that Miles is overpaid or is being adequately compensated for his services........and with that, I agree. I feel like a lot of the people who have had negative things to say, or who might've wanted Les gone before are now realizing how much he has meant to this team and how successful we have actually been. We could lose alot if he moves on.

Right now, Miles is in 6th place at 3.8 Million. Now, I am certainly of the opinion that college football coaches are way overpaid, but the football program brings in the big bucks, and at LSU, pays for every single other sport and program on campus.

So, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer ( 2010 ) all made more than him, and of Gene Chizik/Chip Kelley, the winner will likely have a contract clause significantly increasing their salary and the loser will probably get a nice bump, as well.

Even though we've seemingly had many ups and down, looking back, Miles is actually more successful than many of the coaches listed above.

National Championship
    SEC Championship
    SEC West Champs ( x 2 )
    Four 11 win Seasons
    5-1 in bowl games
    2-0 in BCS bowls

Romps in bowl games over #9 Miami ( 40-3 ), #12 Notre Dame ( 41-14 ), #1 Ohio State ( 38-24 ), #14 Ga Tech ( 38-3 ), and #17 Texas A&M ( 41-24 )

3( likely 4 ) out of 7 years Top-10 rankings to finish the season......#6, #3, and #1.........and then this season.

Top 10 recruiting classes ( and usually top-5 ) every single season.

28-1 record against out of conference teams.

Overall record: 62-17

The greatest coach in LSU history.

............and then you have all the intangibles like how much the players and their families love him, the fact that he takes the gambles that allow us to win games, his rapport with the administration and other coaches, the fact that he runs a clean and respectable program, and the fact that he's just an honest, caring, stand-up type of guy......the type of person that we want coaching our team.

When it comes down to it, and you lay out all the facts, in my opinion it is worth it to give Les Miles whatever he wants to keep him here at LSU. With him, we have a chance to build a dynasty for at least another 5 years or more. He could end up retiring from LSU as one of the greatest coaches in history.......not just LSU history..........and could make a name for himself and be remembered even moreso than his mentor.........and he could have a blast doing it.

I wonder if everyone agrees..........?

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

No I really hope LSU doesnt give him a pay raise.
    At the end of the day, this is just a football game. yes I know LSU football brings a ton of money into the school
    But with the budget crisis, etc. I dont think the right signal is to give Les a raise.

He makes GREAT money, he is in the top 10 of coaching. If he wants to stay at LSU he should stay because he wants to, if its all about money I say let him bounce and we look elsewhere.

Personally I dont think this has ANYTHING to do with Money. It has all to do DOES Les want to leave behind all he has FINALLY built and return to his Alma Mater and place he loves so dearly.

That will be the question.

1 person likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

5 million is alot of dough.

4. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

I agree with you 100%.

No reason not to retain Les even if it requires more money.

Think how much revenue would be lost if we don't strike gold

with a new head coach. Better to keep the one you know than

take a chance on getting a dud that might bury the program for

years and years to come. :miles:

5. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Rumors are that they threw that kinda cash at Harbaugh, but he wanted to head to the NFL and will be making that or more in the League.

Now, as far as Miles team performance.........I agree that he SHOULD have a team performing well in all three phases of the game. HOWEVER, you can't dismiss the fact that we went 11-2 this season. We were basically, if you think about it, less than 5 plays from being undefeated. Now, sure, you can say we nearly lost games, too, but we didn't, and that can be the sign of a great coach. Even in 2007, Miles pulled some magic out of his hat in extremely close calls.

Do I think we should give Miles a big pay raise? Nah, not really, but the coaches getting paid more than him........Saban 9-3, Meyer 8-5, Mack Brown 5-7 and no bowl, Kiffen 8-5, and Stoops went 11-2..........so the only two that come close to performing as well as LSU ( even with NO QB and a horrible offense ) were Saban and Stoops.

I'm just saying that if thats what it takes, I may not like it, but I think we do whatever it takes to keep him around.

1 person likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Not 5 million.

5.2. :wink:

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Fixed it.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course you pay him. its a drop in the bucket and football is the driving force behind the university and not just athletics. its a cash-cow for the city.

the signal it sends should have nothing to do with hurting academicians feelings. you want to send the signal you are the top football university and reward coaches as such.

the stability and professionalism les brings is worth much much more. Its just people's egos get hurt in the process. Shouldnt be a factor in the grand scheme of things.

its just a number and almost meaningless. If you fail on the next hire, it becomes very clear how meaningless it is.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Money isn't the only thing that talks to Miles. Although important, he realizes he is very well paid. Miles wants to be where he WANTS to be and where he is secure in being there. I think that is what will matter most to him. I don't think that he wants to put himself in a situation where the fans can have him ousted in 3 yrs because he isn't performing to their expectations, especially if he is having to rebuild a dumpster fire like Michigan.

I wouldn't be surprised if he even wants to have some verbiage in his contract protecting from that happening. Miles cares about money, no doubt, but job security and his family are what matter most to him, IMHO. So, even though I don’t believe that booing fans will be a cause for him to leave LSU, they very well may turn out to be what keeps him. He has weathered the storm here and right now has a large majority of LSU fans scrambling to not lose him. Going to Michigan, where the last 2 coaches have been fired for underperforming, just might not feel as secure to him.

1 person likes this.
  10. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

Wow Joe Paterno and his whole staff combined doesn't make as much as Les Miles. Either way Michigan has DEEP pockets and like other posters said, it will be a decision made by Les Miles. Personally I could see him leaving as he's taken a lot of criticism here in Baton Rouge. I remeber the WVU game I attended and the fans that I sat next to in the endzone thought very little of Les Miles.

1 person likes this.