A picture worth a thousand words

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Deceks7, Nov 18, 2009.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

i didn't mean for the military. i mean for civilians. why should i do stupid gestures or whatever? and singing the anthem? seems kinda nazi. and dont get me started on the pledge of allegiance, which should be never taught to any child.

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I did not imply your understanding in either case, just your lack for understanding why others in general do.

To each his own in this case but the reason why others do should not draw a label for doing so. For my own reasons, in a limited context, I do but those are for my own reasons. Without giving a reason why should I or any one else be subject to labeling for doing so? I do not believe you should have to perform in that manner and that is my opinion. The opinions sought are those willing to contribute as to why the CIC should comply somewhat with what it is that those under his command are held to. Has very little to do with what martin does at the ball game or even at a Macy's parade. Your pledge is not in question here.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

basically because i dont really believe in symbolic patriotism. i am not even sure if i like the idea of patriotism in general. i kinda think we should always think of our government and our flag and our nation as a necessary evil.

and barack is a civilian, i dont think he should really be expected to do any kind of dance-along symbol or whatever. he is like the CEO of america, not our king or a pope. barack shouldnt have to salute anyone or place his hand over his heart. he is a civilian, and those are meaningless gestures.

4. CajunlostinCali

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

guess. i just dont see why it is an issue. we have a civilian president, and that is important. if he refuses to salute and is steadfastly a civilian, that is ok by me.

a while back i was playing golf at fort bragg. they play that tune every night and all the dudes there have to stand around quietly and salute or whatever. but i am a civilian, i dont have to do anything, i can go ahead and line up my putt. even the officers i was with didnt care and told me i dont have to care about it. i think obama is the same way. i dont think it is disrepsectful to stand silently without any sort of sybolic whatever.

i think it is important that the president always be a civilian, think like a civilian, and operate as an elected representative, not like a military commander.

6. CajunlostinCali

When he is at a ball game he can pick his nose for all I care but if he is at fort hood addressing those overcome by stupidity, he best be prepared to return the same respect shown him in the course of his intended stay. I think that should be a fair characterization of his sworn duties, at the very least.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

8. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I would hope that the CIC has some concept of what it takes to be a military commander and be serious enough about to show respect for the lives that he is ultimately responsible for. That goes for anyone holding the office; Bush, Obama, makes no difference.

I spent Veterans Day in DC with people who didn't have to do anything either, they too were there silent. The tunes and the pageantry were for them and I was proud to stand there with my hand over my heart to show their sacrifice was appreciated, respected and not forgotten.

Whether you agree with policy or not is moot. Indifference to the men and women who serve and their traditions violates the sanctity of their lives.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Well, I don't think anyone would label me an Obama apologist, but I am almost certain that the original photo was one of Obama being saluted as CIC, and not during the national anthem, pledge of Allegiance, etc., etc.

I'm not going to bother to look it up, but I know the email circulating this was false. He does enough wrong imo, without having to manufacture things to gin up the masses. Just silly.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I did look it up.

When I know I am wrong I certainly admit it. In this particular case I am in error. What led me not to question the photo was the civilian who had his hand over his heart. I may be wrong once again, but I do not think that is a standard response for a civilian who is in the presence of the CIC.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPPJRrk5FU&feature=player_embedded[/media]