A post-season reflection

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Actually he is paid to run a football program. He receives incentives to win bowl games and championships.

Miles base salary was $300,000 with a raise coming his way. The remainder of his compensation comes from other sources. He receives compensation near $3MM for "radio, tv, internet" engagements. Other compensation comes from his work in support of the program, camps etc.

You should also look at the significant contributions that are made to the University by the Athletic Department. LSU is one of only a small handful of self-funded programs in the country. The department takes no money from the University, students or the tax payers. Consider the contributions from the department that go to student life projects, grounds maintenance, new buildings, sidewalk repairs and more. This year, in addition to the $6MM normally transferred to the University, the athletic department will write a check for $4MM. That's a $10MM payday for the University.

So ... while you are thinking about all the championships that Les Miles owes you, you should consider the tremendous contributions that his program makes to LSU. It's not all take, take take as one might think. His program has done some damn fine work on behalf of all students, staff and fans who attend and enjoy this fine University. This is the point. It is not trophies. It is working for something greater than personal achievement. It's called giving back and making significant contribution to the world around you.

2. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Um, OK. Im tearing up...

Eliminator55 likes this.
  3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Excellent perspective, and I agree w/you. In fact, as I get older, I get less interested in football b/c of its relative insignificance. Unfortunately, however, you can expect the majority of responses to be hyperfocused on football success as the preceding 10 here are. Besides bleeding purple and gold, and getting fired up w/the football successes, for me LSU football is a nice "mindless" distraction from this complicated, high-paced, high stress world in which we live. I strive to stay low key, low stress. Keeping the time I spend w/my family as top priority, and following LSU football, which includes coming to this site, are ways I personally do that. Some of CLMs on field decisions makes that a challenge, though, LOL.

cajdav1 likes this.
  4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

We're all winners, really.

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

someone pays this guy to speak,? funny

Eliminator55 likes this.
  6. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

Could you possibly get any more touchy-feely? Please allow me to pause for a moment while I vomit in the nearest trash can. Face it, the only thing that matters is wins or losses.

7. Eliminator55

He's Les Miles' personal advocate. He should really check himself. This is too much.

8. Eliminator55

Add me to this list of those tearing up over his mushy post. After the crying subsides, I'm going to bolt out the door and sweep the world with my goodness.

Can he maybe let us in on the pill that he be poppin'?
    intentional misuse of grammar above ^ ^ ^

9. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

It is a fact that when you look at the graduation figures, more student athletes graduate from LSU than do the people who attend LSU just to get an education.(76%-54%, most recent data shows). So the coaches at LSU are to be congratulated for their efforts in helping their players realize not only their dreams on the field, but also in the classroom.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How many of the underclassmen that are declaring will graduate or have already graduated I wonder.