A Preview of Bush's Address to the Nation on Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by marcmc99, May 15, 2006.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/15/D8HKFH380.html

2. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Not sure what to think after hearing the complete address. I would say cautiously optimistic, but I'm not willing to put that much faith in Bush on this issue. I don't think he really believes about 3/4 of what he said. If he did, he would have addressed this months ago. Has the public forced his hand into taking action, or his is trying to put the nation back to sleep on the issue with big talk and no action? I really don't know.

Notes from another article with some illegal's comments.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/15/D8HKF1TG2.html

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Not sure if I believe it, really.
    One thing I've learned about George Bush is that he usually stands for his principles and doesn't care what anyone else thinks, polls, etc which is a good thing, we don't need a leader who goes the way of the wind.

If only he would've secured the borders after 9/11 the way we secured the
    skies and went from there....
    We certainly had the man power back then.

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

One of the things I thought about last night while watching the address was, when was the last time you saw a president on the air in an address to the nation talking about immigration policies? NEVER! Every issue that the guy has faced are all problems that were ignored and passed down by past presidents.......and I mean all of them. Not just democrats but all of them. You're not going to be the most popular man in the room when you attempt to tackle every issue of this magnitude.

Immigration, social security, terrorism....all problems that have been brewing or were a huge issue then that were passed down to Bush.

At least the guy is facing the problems and attempting to do something other than lobbing a few cruise missiles to the middle of the desert, or just granting amnesty to these illegals, or just ignoring the issue all together (social security).

Maybe he should have just ignored them like all the others and maybe he too could be one of the best black presidents of all time (aka Clinton)

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

He is doing it because the American people are forcing him to do it. If not, why did he wait almost 5 years since 9/11 to address it? Why did Congress wait? The only reason they are addressing this issue now is to try to keep their jobs. I give Tancredo, the Minutemen, and Michael Savage credit for this. They were the ones who originally brought this to light. The border security issue all started over concern about terrorists sneaking a nuclear device accross the border. These guys took it and ran, gave the open border national exposure, and are making a difference. They are the ones who should receive any credit due.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

OK, because problems that have been ignored for the last 50 years have finally reached a crisis state, emphasized by reporters and citizens, Bush has finally decided to attempt to address the problems.

How's that?

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I don't buy that. How is he forced? What does he really have to gain?

8. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

He is caving to the demands of republican members of the senate and the house who are being bombarded over the issue by the American people. They can't afford to lose on this issue, and he can't afford to lose their support. One hand washes the other.

Not to mention, if he doesn't do something to right his political ship, there is no way in hell his brother will ever stand a chance of being elected if he decides to run (which W is encouraging him to do).

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Exactly, its too bad he just didn't do it right after 9/11!
    Its too bad it took this to attempt to get the job done but at least something
    is being done at this time!
    I like GWB but he screwed himself on this issue in his first and second term.
    9/11 was the perfect excuse to close then tighten the borders and he blew
    it.

The only reason I'm not sure he is sincere is because it means he's done
    a 180 from his policy towards this issue.

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Let's just go to Mexico and whip Santa Anna Clause's ass (again) and make them another state. Teaching them:
    1) English
    2) How to treat the flag of the country you so much want to be a part of.
    3) It's not nice to fool with Mother America
    Of course, I'm teasing. But really, does Mexico have a military? Do they still use horses to pull the cannons into position? All they have to defend is the northern bountries. A threat from Mexico is about the same as what? Mississippi College for Women threatening to kick that Irish girl's team in Ind.'s ass in football?:lol: :usaflagwa