A Rival

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by burnline1, May 9, 2003.

1. burnline1

burnline1 Freshman

Guys, we need a knock down, nasty, can't stand each other rival. I'd love it to be Auburn, but they have Bama, and Bama has them. Florida has both Miami and FSU to worry about. Ol Miss and MSU have each other (and they can keep each other, they suck!). This pretty much leaves Arkansas. I know, you say what is there that we can build a good seething hatred around. Well, we might just have to get this thing rolling. You know, steal their pig. Hire Nolan Richardson as an assistant coach. Occupy all the camp sites in Petit Jean State Park. Hell we could really piss them off by convincing the Clintons to move back home. I think there's some decent material to work with. Whadda ya think?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That reminds me of an old episode of Coach where the assistant Luther decides that they need a hated rival so he calls the coach of one of their opponents and insults him for a few minutes. Then the other coach tells Luther that they already have a hated rival .

The only really intense case of hated rivals between 2 teams not in the same state is Ohio State - Michigan. Texas - Oklahoma comes close but they always play early in the season so the game is not for all the marbles. LSU - Arkansas would work only if both teams are highly ranked every year. I personally get a lot more pleasure out of seeing LSU beat Auburn, Alabama or Florida

3. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

First off they need to have the game when it is at Arkansas at Razorback Stadium. It is supposed to be really nice and secondly it has a bigger capacity that War Memorial. Why should we be forced to play at the crapy War Memorial Stadium. This place makes the Indy Bowl look like a 1st rate facility. I know it is a supposed tradition at Arkansas to play some home games at War Memorial so fans in central Arkansas can see some of the games but why do they do this. Are the fans in Arkansas too lazy to travel to Razorback Stadium to see a game. You don't see LSU playing some home games at the Indy Bowl so our Northern Fans can see LSU games. Our fans make the trip from all parts of the state to go to Tiger Stadium. Schedule the LSU game at Razorback Stadium for god sakes.

4. hSv

hSv Founding Member

Hard to make a rival when being forced upon. As for Nowin Richardson, I'll pay the moving expenses myself if you guys can move his ass down to Baton Rouge.

[​IMG]

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Actually. DV. I've discussed this with other Tiger fans that are friends of mine and we think, if Independence Stadium could be expanded, having the Arkansas game there every year would be a great idea. I would like to have the game there around the time of the Louisiana State Fair (which is early October) and split tickets with Arkansas. If both teams went up in national stature, our "State Fair Classic" could rival Texas/Oklahoma (who meet in Dallas every year during the Texas State Fair around the same time) in stature and intensity. It could work, Shreveport is a good halfway point between the two schools, like Dallas for OU/UT. The only hangup is Indy, which isn't much bigger than War Memorial right now. I heard about a plan awhile back though that, should the Indy Bowl get any bigger in attendance and prominence, Indy Stadium could be expanded to 80,000 seats. If it were, LSU/Arkansas in a "State Fair Classic" could be an AWESOME tradition.

Also, while I'm thinking about good "border war" rivalries, you people are forgetting too many. Texas/Oklahoma isn't the only one. There is also:

Ohio State/Michigan
    Florida/Georgia (Who could forget the World's Largest Cocktail Party?)
    West Virginia/Pittsburgh (AKA "The Backyard Brawl")
    Auburn/Georgia (although it's secondary to their in-state rivalries)
    Kentucky/Indiana (hasn't been hot in a few years)
    Minnesota/Michigan (They play for the Little Brown Jug)
    Nebraska/Colorado (This is one has been really intense lately)

6. tigerb8

tigerb8 Founding Member

Man you guys are forgetting Ol Miss, @ one time it was a huge rivalery, nowadays the new tiger fans don't remember/ don't feel the same way, But believe me as a tiger fan living in Mississippi the Ol Miss fans absolutly hate LSU! I hear it pretty regularly, now if they would do something to LSU (like being the only team to beat them during a season) maybe the tigers could get back up for the games.

7. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

I hear you there. Ole Miss was a big rival for a long time but then it just dissappeared. Last season at the game there were only a few students including me trying to get the "Go to hell Ole Miss Chant" started. Does anybody rember that chant or did they forget it. We had a hard time with the chant and eventuall gave up.

8. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

DeathValley is right "back in my day" Ole Miss was the hated rival, actually, they probably hated us more than we hated them (remember Billy Cannon's punt return and the Bandits goal line stand on that Hallween night, or Doug Moreau's catch of a deflected pass on a two point conversion after we got to run a couple of plays in less than 10 seconds (signs at the Louisiana/Mississippi line saying "Entering Louisiana set your clocks back 3 seconds"). But, throughout the games all you could hear immenating from the LSU student section was "Go to Hell Ole Miss go to Hell."

9. litmachog

litmachog Freshman

I see you LSU folks complaining about the Mighty War Memorial Stadium. You don't like it because you folks can't win there. Remember the "Miracle on Markham".

GO HOGS

10. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

People complain about that place because its a dump you moron. When you mix that and a bunch of toothless imbred rednecks together ofcourse you will receive complaints. Go back to the SWC, you don't belong here.