A thought on quarterbacking

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Jan 28, 2004.

1. LSU75

LSU75 Freshman

At one point this past season, Russell was warming up and Saban even admitted to almost putting him in, but eventually chickening out.

2. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I honestly believe that one of the freshman will take over the starting job after Spring practice. While Randall has the experience, I've heard from some reliable sources (from the team) that he isn't exactly the smartest kid on the block. If you noticed during the season, Flynn was the one signalling in the plays to Mauck, not Randall. That may not be much, but it made me think that they had more confidence with Flynn relaying the signals than Randall. I just can't see Randall keeping the starting position. I will be the first to admit it if I am wrong, but we'll start out the season with one of the freshman.

3. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

well in Randalls defense, usually the guy signaling in the plays is the guy last or near the bottom of the depth chart.....the reason for this is that you want consistency calling in the plays, therefore needing the same guy to do it all of the time.....thus meaning the guy least likely to go in.....its never the 2nd string QB....its always the 3rd or in this case 4th string.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Thats a reasonable explanation. I never really knew the real reason, but I just assumed that since they were saying Flynn knew the offense really well, they were more comfortable with him sending in the plays.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That makes sense. Randall did get some playing time this season so if he had been the guy signaling the plays in for Mauck he would have had to turn the clipboard over to somebody else when he entered the game. For the sake of consistency you want the guy signaling the plays to be somebody who is not likely to be called on to enter the game.

6. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Why would Saban waste a year holding back the talent at QB one more season and play Randall instead, when Randall is history as soon as the season is over? It seems rather academic to me that you go with your best talent, and the talent that is going to be the future of your football team.

No disrespect to Randall intended, but despite his previous game experience, I've seen no evidence yet that said experience has been transformed into success. Why waste a year getting Randall up to speed, when he's gone at the end of the season? It seems to me to be much more prudent to get your best talent on the field and up to speed ASAP, both in the short run and especially for the long run.

I mean why would anyone in their right mind want to put their team through the hassle of having three different QBs in three different seasons in a row, Mauck in 2003, Randall in 2004, and then one of the new guys starting in 2005? That's not the way to build continuity or win championships!

7. tigerb8

tigerb8 Founding Member

The most impressive thing about Flynn calling in the plays is that he's doing it as a rs freshman, now I'm working on memory alone, but, it usually seems to be a jr. or sr. 3rd string qb calling in the plays, on some teams its the 2nd string. The Saints had Jake calling in plays last year. I think LSU is in for a heckuva season no matter who starts, MR would have been outstanding if we had the D in 2002 that we had this year, JR will be one exciting QB to watch with his long ball and our speedy WR's, MF will be a game manager (like MM) and win with athletic ability.
    WOW what a time to be a TIGER!!:):):):)

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

On most teams it is usually the QB least likely to play that calls in the plays, that way you don't lose any continuity when a change is made. Also, some guys are just better at it than others. It's the same as a third base coach, some guys just never get good at giving signals, especially if they are giving fake ones to go along with the real ones.

Reminds me of my high school coach. He called a take and a hit and run on the same play with the bases loaded, we all ignored him.

9. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

What do you expect from Randall when he was thrown into a brutal SEC schedule.......Mauck made those same poor decisions and bad passes during his first 5 games as a starter.....note the embarassing loss at Virginia Tech and then he had the luxury of playing 4 cupcakes. If we had played South Carolina, Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss instead of the 4 cupcakes we would have been sitting at (2-3) at best, 5 games into the season.

Now let me point out that I'm not saying Russell or Flynn aren't capable of passing Randall......I think they are very capable...if not likely!!!! But you are saying that Flynn and Russell could start for any team in college football.....yet you have not seen them play a down!!!! I am the biggest Russell supporter and would love to see him step up and take the starting position....but its going to take a lot of talent to make up for the experience.

I remember, as well as most do....fans screaming for Mauck's head before the Florida game in '02....they said he wasn't efficient enough and that Saban should put in Randall. And look, a season later with many question marks looming over Mauck and his ability......he helps bring the NC back to Baton Rouge!!!

So.......how many more days till football season starts!!!:D :D

10. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

ok, lets get something clear here....

alright, it seems that Flynn wearing the head set has been propelling the rumor that he is ahead of Russel. that is the exact opposite of what is happening.

if the coaches hand you the clipboard and headset...that means you wont be playing anytime soon.

as far as the comment about it being impressive that a freshman is signaling in the plays...nope...still not anything to brag about. first of all...who else would do it? Mauck and Randal were the only two upperclassmen...and they were both 1&2 on the depth chart.....and the reason Russel didnt have the headset was because he was basically #2a....so he couldnt do it either...

the last guy to play gets the headset...not the "smartest" (though it wouldnt hurt), not the most talented, not the "teachers pet"...just the last guy standing. the coaches dont put any decisions or pressure on the guy calling in the plays...infact...if you can talk on the phone...then youre already qualified to call in the plays. they dont decide anything...all they do is repeat it....

also what is propelling the rumors is this...some guy will come on this board (for example)...and he'll say that he heard flynn is ahead of russel....then that second person will go to another board and he'll say the exact same thing....saying that he "heard" it...so it just keeps going in a circle.