A touchy subject

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DoctorDave, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

(Deleted for irrelevance)

Now that I tidy'd up my last ramble that had nothing to do with your post....

Forgive me for asking, but are you talking receiving, rushing, or in general?

Rushing: I got nothing.. Only thing I can say is that when you got that many people that can truly run, it's hard for everyone to get their shot at it I suppose. I would imagine that was part of his decision to concentrate on WR.

Receiving: Call it what you want, but he had 33 receptions (Toliver had 36, Randle had 31)... Not bad for his first year at the position.

I think our woes on offense had more to do with more things than whether RS was carrying the ball or not.

2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I think he should be pretty much what he is - just a little more polished as a reciever. Understandable, he's still new to the position. His rushes should be outside the tackles for the most part. AND HE SHOULDN'T GET CAUGHT FROM BEHIND 20 YARDS DOWNFIELD. (sorry, vent break)

As far as lining up in the backfield, I'm not sold on his blocking ability to protect the QB. I don't think the opposition is either because they seem to always play him to swing out.

His true danger to me is if we can deliver the ball to him in stride 5+ yards downfield he should carve up the secondary. He needs to be the hybrid runner/reciever on the team because we have a good group of true receivers.

It will be interesting to see how he develops the next two years.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I agree that he belongs in the backfield...

4. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

I agree 10000% I have been screaming this for the last couple of years. If gc was such a "genius" then why haven't we seen some screwy formation w/ JJ and JL in the game. Line jj as a freaking running back and then the defense has to guess is he going to run or throw the ball?

Even better put all three of them back there rs, jj, and jl?!?!?! The other team's dc would ***** him self. (now I dont know if that would be some kind of illegal formation penalty but it couldn't hurt to try!) I mean c'mon think out of the box a little guys!

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I think Spencer Ware is a good Wild Cat guy. We have also seen him throw a TD pass.

Would be nice if they picked a Wild Cat guy and use him to throw it out of Wild Cat every now and then...

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Shepard was targeted alot, he dropped balls, some were thrown behind him and the ones he did catch he fell on the ground shortly after. When doing my list a few days ago, I think Shepard belongs on that list of most disappointing right there with Jordan Jefferson and Terrence Toliver.

7. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

He definitely looks more natural carrying the ball out of the backfield. Maybe he just needs another offseason to get up to speed at WR.

8. LaSalleAve

bingo, he is great on that jet sweep play. So is Onterio McCalebb, and I think he had a better year than Shepard did.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Defenses are already doing this and he is still averaging 7 yards a carry . . .

10. LaSalleAve

You can't completely absolve Shepard in all of this. Why is everything the coaches fault?