Aaron Hill, whatta guy!!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JasonBohn, Jan 23, 2004.

1. JasonBohn

JasonBohn Founding Member

From LSUsports.net

Former Tiger Hill's Donation Funds Lockerroom Improvements
    01/23/04

BATON ROUGE -- Coach Smoke Laval received an unexpected Christmas gift in late December when former player Aaron Hill made a cash contribution to the LSU Baseball program.

Hill, a first round draft pick of the Toronto Blue Jays in the 2003 amateur draft, signed professionally following his junior season after leading the Tigers to the 2003 College World Series. He was the 2003 SEC Player of the Year and is one of the Blue Jays' top prospects.

"I was stunned," said Laval of the gift. "He calls out of the blue over the holidays and wants to drop by and the next thing you know, he's handing me a check. I was speechless. I mean, it doesn't surprise me because that's A. Hill, that's him, but you never expect such generosity."

Laval said the gift was partially used to upgrade the carpet in the squad room, the locker room, the training room and the umpires' dressing rooms. In addition, it allowed Laval to replace all of the players' stools in the locker room.

"You see, Aaron Hill gets it", Laval said. "He gave us a lot while he was here as a player, but he has acknowledged on his own, without prompting, that he received a lot in return. To my knowledge, no player has ever given back directly to the baseball program like this, especially so soon after finishing his career here. It's the nicest thing that a former player of mine has ever done."

Hill will be among the alumni players returning to Alex Box Stadium for the annual LSU Baseball Alumni Game Friday, January 30 at 6:30 p.m. Laval plans to recognize Hill at the game, as well as at the Alumni Gala the night before.

"People need to know what he has done and how much this place and this program have meant to him to make such a gift. And we plan to show him our appreciation and give the fans a chance to thank him properly as well."
    ----------------------------------------------

I'm not sure how much the donation was, but thats a pretty awesome thing to do! Any word on who else will be coming back to play at the alumni game??

2. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Hummm, we should invite Albert Bell back.

3. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Thanks Aaron! I can't wait to start watching his professional career take off. Good luck in the future Aaron! You're a class act and a true Tiger!

4. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Aaron is a classy man. I'm glad he has not forgotten the school that got him into the MLB.
    GEAUX Aaron

5. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

I wish that one day I'm able to give back to LSU like that. But for right now, I'm going to concentrate on just graduating!

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

7. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Makes you wonder about guys like Ben McDonald, Albert Belle (he could give enough for a new stadium), Todd Linden, Todd Walker, Brad Cresse and the list goes on and on.
    Thanks Aaron!

GEAUX TIGERS!!