Aaron Rodgers

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by tony the tiger, Jan 23, 2022.

1. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Freshman

Is Rodgers a fit for New Orleans?
    You tell me.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Skills are a fit. Financially, no.

After several years of watching us let quality players go because we had no money left to pay them after paying our superstar QB, I don't want another superstar QB. The Cincy-Tenn playoff game had four former Saints defenders on the field that we couldn't afford to keep. There would have been a 5th but Kenny Vaccaro retired before the season.

What has to be considered is where the Saints were before Winston got hurt, but go beyond 5-2. We were 5-2 with a QB who was still being handcuffed while learning to approach the game differently. With an offensive line that was so patched together, the protected starting group played together for only 22 plays all season. Without his two top receiver options, one of whom is top 5 in the league talent. With two more weapons - THill and Harris - getting hurt during that 7 game span. With 3 defensive starters - Onyemata, Alexander and Davenport - missing most of that span. Put it all together, and you find a roster that is much closer to being championship calibre than most realize. No need to break the bank on a Rodgers or Wilson. Run it back with Winston, pay the defensive players who are in free agency, improve the WR corps, the o-line depth, and the interior of the defense through the draft.

kluke likes this.
  3. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Freshman

Good thoughts and solid reasoning.

mctiger likes this.
  4. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

Too much talk of Peyton leaving for Dallas or Chicago. We'll get a quality QB if he stays. I don't see his desire to stay if we don't get someone better than average for him to work with.

5. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Freshman

Well, just like that-Peyton is gone and he didn't even wait to see what a trade would bring. This leaves me to believe that much like New England's Brady made Belichick, Brees was the success of Peyton.

6. mctiger

He's under contract, so any other team that wants him would have to compensate the Saints. And no way he goes to work for micromanager Jerry Jones after having carte blanche for the last 16 years.

I have to believe a plan is in place. They're going to do their Rooney interviews as required, but unless Aaron Glenn really blows them away in the interview, Dennis Allen's getting promoted. Kris Richard to DC, Carmichael stay on as OC.

7. rockwallfan

There’s a lot of love between Payton and JJ and, living in Dallas, local television personalities are drooling. They can’t let this opportunity pass. With this young team intact the cowboys would be willing to lose draft picks and $’s to win now. I don’t know where Payton’s kids live at now but they basically grew up in the Dallas area. And JJ wants more championships before he croaks. And the Cowboys are about as big as you can get in the sports world, marketing wise. I hate it, but it’s hard to deny. Everybody wants McCarthy gone around here, especially now with the window open on a coach with Payton’s reputation.

8. mctiger

The only thing I might argue with here is Payton's "love" for JJ. Again, Payton was practically his own boss for 16 years. He called all the shots in New Orleans. Jones, on the other hand, ran off his supposed best friend and a Super Bowl-winning coach in Jimmy Johnson because he just couldn't keep his nose out of day-to-day team stuff. And if I'm not mistaken, he didn't fare much better relationship-wise with Barry Switzer. Since then, its been one coaching failure after another; even Bill Parcells couldn't win there. The common denominator through 20+ years of underachieving in Dallas has been Jones. I don't think Payton's going to be so eager to be the next one in the hot seat.

kluke and shane0911 like this.
  9. rockwallfan

I hate to argue about this, because i wish you were right. But the lure of the Cowboys on the world stage is completely different than the small market Saints. To me, with the success Payton has had and the lack of success the Cowboys have had, it should be the opposite. The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world, even though they've sucked for a quarter century. Payton has been close to JJ since his days here under Parcells. Everything is lined up for this to happen. Even though I'm sure he hasn't learned his lesson, JJ now admits it was his fault Jimmy Johnson left. Bottom line is JJ wants nothing more in life than to win another Super Bowl and Payton is his best shot at getting there. But taking the Cowboy job immediately would be a spit in the face of Gail Benson and I think Payton is too classy to do that. So give it a little bit of time. It seems to have almost happened a couple years ago until Anthony Davis declared he wasn't resigning with the Pelicans. https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...hony-davis-wanted-out-new-orleans-jerry-jones

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

how quick is jerry’s tigger finger is the only variable I think….

rockwallfan likes this.