AARP.org Ritter's plan to tax soda and candy gets cheers, jeers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Maybe their should be a weight limit. If you are over the limit you get taxed harder. I like the idea, but i just don't think it will work. The reason americans are so fat is because really good, healthy food is very expensive, and the crap food is cheap and easy to get.

Its the FDA's fault people are so sick and overweight. And pot is illegal, while Ronald McDonald is laughing his ass off in his Scarface mansion.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

not true. processed foods are expensive. good whole grains, beans, chicken, and a lot of frozen veggies are cheap, and in season fresh fruits and veggies are inexpensive. contrast that to the overly processed junk foods that are full of fats, sugars, and salt, that are pricey. the crap is more convenient is all. god forbid some fatass have to actually take the time to actually cook something healthy

when i was a dirt poor student, i found it cheaper to eat heathier. i just couldnt eat on the run as easily.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

absolutely 100% right.

the primary things i eat when i am really doing myself favors and eating right, those are dirt cheap. oatmeal, bananas, vegetables, eggs, that k,ind of stuff, al insanely, absurdly cheap. a fraction of the cost of mcdonalds.

the idea that healthy food is expensive is a lie pushed by idiots to deflect blame and refuse personal responsibility for anyone.

now, it certainly can be argued that unhealthy food is cheaper than it should be, because the government subsidizes it, but still, healthy whole foods are far cheaper than processed foods, unless you buy the foods at fancy upscale white-person organic grocery stores, which you do not need to do.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

how could i forget eggs? i ALWAYS have lots of fresh eggs in the fridge. cant go wrong with em in any way!:thumb:

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You ever go the organic section? That **** is expensive…….

The government cannot force you to be healthy. Healthy or not, it is your individual right to eat whatever you want.

It is like trying to tax lazy people for being lazy….. Just does not make any sense.

6. 4EvrLSU

4EvrLSU Like a '59 Cadillac

It goes further than that. It taxes everyone because lazy people are lazy.

If a person who works out, eats healthy the majority of the time, and has no other unhealthy "vices", but they want to have a Snickers bar to treat themselves to something a few times a week, they are being taxed because of the slobs inability to do the same.

So much for personal accountability.

1 person likes this.
  7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I work out all the time, 4-5 times a week. I pass my PT test for the Airforce twice a year and stay in-between 90 and 95%.

Im 6 foot 200 pounds
    I eat tons of fried seafood
    BBQ
    BBER:thumb:
    and other great food.

I mostly eat like that on the weekends and try to eat fruits and veggies during the week.

I LOVE FOOD!!!!

8. 4EvrLSU

4EvrLSU Like a '59 Cadillac

I do to, but that is my point. I do the other things that are needed to keep in shape despite the fact that I love food. I eat a lot of unhealthy food but also make sure I eat healthy meals. So if I want to indulge in a snickers bar now and then, I have to pay an extra tax on it, even though I have held myself accountable, kept my health good, and done what I need to do despite loving food? Just so I can pay for those that don't do what they need to do to keep themselves in shape?

Whats next, an extra tax on pizza? McDonalds?

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

So true.

It's like saying hey, you are free to live life as you want, BUT here is a fat tax......

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

Won't support this until there is a stupid tax.

This stupid sugar/fatty tax is like the dumbass "Driving while Cellphone" taxes. Why aren't there "Driving while reading" or "Driving while makeup" taxes?

If the goal of this "sugar/fatty tax" is to cause a healthier populous why not go after the sugary/fatty-food producers? Stop them from using unhealthycooking oils, or stop the high fructose corn syrup foods.

This is just another attempt to tax and take money from the populous. This has nothing to do with healthy living.