AARP.org Ritter's plan to tax soda and candy gets cheers, jeers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Just like I've never owned a GM vehicle, nor do I plan to own one in the future. Yet, sure enough, I'm paying GM through taxes.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Kind of gives a whole new meaning to the term "guilty pleasure", doesn't it?

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

the big wrench in this is shelf life. processed foods are cheaper because they have infinite shelf life.

sort of depends how you define the argument. people that eat healthy spend more money on food that others. of course, on a calorie basis, healthy food is more expensive. canned produce is cheaper than fresh produce. but 4 stouffers microwave meals are more expensive than a bag of beans, a bag of rice and a broccoli crown

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

but even the canned processed veggies are much healthier than the overly processed crap that a lot of people eat. and cheaper. its a veggie, and not something like a big mac loaded down with salt, sugar, and fat. healthy doesnt have to equate to all fresh. for a lot of people a can of greenbeans would be the most organic their body has ever seen.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

not really a factor in the slightest. mcdonalds food has no shelf life either, but poor people eat that. buy a tub of oatmeal ,some dried beans and frozen broccoli and you will definitely be healthy.

why? we just explained to you that the proper foods are cheap and are available at your grocery store, not mcdonalds.

what is with this insistence that healthy food is expensive? is simply isnt. fat and poor people are loaded with excuses.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

"healthy food is expensive" is different from "healthy people spend more on food". id assume "healthy people" often buy organic food and exotic food. i spend 8 bucks for a wedge of manchego instead of 2 bucks for kraft american singles. and the less common produce i regularly eat is expensive---asparagus, beets, rhubarb, parsnips.

i'll buy that restaurant food and fast food is more expensive. but you can still cook at home and eat unhealthy food. like i already posted. canned food is cheaper (and horrible tasting) than fresh.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i just had a nice big bowl of oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon, and topped with non-fat milk. healthy and very filling.

but am i gonna get taxed for that teaspoon of brown sugar?

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

doesnt sound like it.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i know but i didnt address that point because it is not relevant. you have no point. healthy food is cheap, case closed.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Actually your wrong. Healthy food is both expensive and inexpensive.

Depends on what you buy, where you buy it and how much you buy.

I rest my case.......