Abandoning the Run is NOT a Good Idea

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CajunPunk, Oct 13, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

And that's the bottom line. The evaluation of Flynn as a good/great passer came from nowhere, as he was an unknown coming into this season. And it looks like he is what he is -- a tough player that may not be that good of a passer.
    Everyone DOESN'T always want the back-up. That's too broad of a generalization. People want the QB that gives your team the best chance to win. If the current QB is injured and less mobile (tough to tell, since Flynn looked like both at different parts of the game), and the coaches don't want him throwing past the line of scrimmage late in the game, then clearly you hope for a better alternative.

Perrilloux has been a great red zone option all season long. He HASN'T committed turnovers or even made bad plays or even bad reads. The perception that he will looks pretty hollow to me.

Of course, if Flynn and RP were both seniors, RP would be playing.

Just remember how many carries a completely ineffective senior running back got last year. Hint: he was awesome in the greatest game in LSU history.

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I think Hester was injured on one of the first plays of the game. Deep thigh bruise. About that same time, Flynn took a pretty good hit but only seemed slightly dinged.

As the paper pointed out this morning, we had penalties at crucial times calling back several big plays from us and giving Kentucky new life at times.

Also, I'd have rather seen us throw a hail Mary at the end of regulation rather than a long field goal attempt. They would be able to call it a Bluegrass Miracle then since it would have happened twice. :shock:

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Some of my points have already been made, so forgive the repeats:

Where was Perriloux after the 3Q? After all the times we've heard the point made of how well our 2 QB system works, he was nowhere to be found when we needed points the most. Also found it very strange that he didn't play after Flynn was clearly limping off the field following the TD to Dickson.
    Scott, 93 yards in the first half, didn't touch the ball in the 2nd half until a screen pass on the last drive. ????? Whatever happened to going with the hot hand, and at half time, Scott was the only hot hand we had on either side of the ball.
    Final drive, our 3-receiver set was LaFell, J. Mitchell and...Josh McManus? Where were Byrd, CMitchell or Toliver? For that matter, Doucet?
    Uh, Coach Pellini, when an NFL calibre QB is sitting unimpeded in the pocket disecting your secondary, you think you might want to throw a blitz at him now and then? Oh, that's right you did...third quarter, blitzing safety drilled him as he released, Chad Jones intercepts. We didn't blitz him again until the OT.
    Man do we miss Charles Alexander. Since he's been gone, everyone has run at us between the guards with success.
    Colt David....draws everything (that's ball going right to left for the non-golfers out there). You would think some time in the last few weeks, Coach Peveto might have pointed this out to him, and told him to shade his longer kicks to the right, rather than aiming down the middle.

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

No. We were a consistent offensive team, and a consistent defensive juggernaut all year long in '03, even in the loss to Florida. We lost by a score of 19-7 then, and 43-37 last night. Two completely different shades.

Against Florida in '03, LSU sacked Chris Leak six times. Last night LSU didn't get one! In '03 LSU held the Gators to 310 yards on offense, and that's including a 60+ yard run.

Mauck did have two picks in that game, but at least he had completed over 50% of his passes, not to mention
    Devery fumbled after catching a 42 yard pass at the end of the game to kill whatever comeback we had going.

Up to that game, and after LSU was dominant on defense and pretty consistent on offense. As I stated in the original post, the D has been on a decline since the SC game. Very different shades. I hope they get it together. I haven't given up. :thumb:

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Miles needs to give serious thoughts to replacing LaFell with Tolliver - at least for the time being. Let's see how that works out. We won't know how a change will work out until we try it.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

My point is that the second guy always looks better...no matter the talent level.

Booty over Davey then vice versa. Way back to the Woodley/Ensminger days. IF Flynn is giving games away then bench him. All I have seen are a few drops and bad passes. Same as any QB since the beginning of time. He isn't as bad as everyone wants to make him out to be. He isn't throwing a bunch of interceptions or giving the ball up making errors in judgement.