ACA effects becoming reality

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mobius481, Oct 21, 2015.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

2016 will be the first year that individual plans will not be able to rollover and be exempt from ACA requirements. I have posted in the past to much dispute that my insurance premiums will double under ACA. Turns out I was wrong. They are actually going up almost 150% instead of 100%. My old premium was $630 and the most comparable ACA plan will be over $1,500/month. Basically I'll be paying an additional $10k per year.

I don't even necessarily mind the increase so much. What irritates the ever loving piss out of me is that Obama said several times "if you like your plan, you can keep it". I can't keep my plan and I certainly can't keep my premium. Also, if I thought my extra 10k/year were making a difference and actually helping people, I would feel better about it but I don't get that sense. We haven't made any meaningful changes to curb healthcare increases. All we've done is shift the burden. The ACA is a tax, plain and simple. Everything else is bullshit.

/rant

kluke, LSUTiga and KyleK like this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The logic is sound, but it's a buerecratic nightmare. It does nothing to drive premiums down because people are still using the ER as their doctor.

The way I see it, it was a scheme to get the insurance companies more money.

kluke and red55 like this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

It was a horrible plan from its inception. Many of us here warned against it. No worries, the plan has 3 cheerleaders and they will be along shortly to tell you why we are wrong to hate it.

islstl and LSUTiga like this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You don't count very well. Obama was elected nationally on the promise to enact health care like every other modern country. Twice. Millions of voters have insurance now and don't have to use the emergency room as a doctors office. Costs have been rising exponentially for decades because of Big Pharm and Big Insurance whose powerful lobbies owns republicans and democrats. They get away with exorbitant pricing that no other country on the planet permits. ACA didn't do enough to fix this problem. But abolishing ACA will not do it either. Prices will still go up. ACA is better than the status quo was. Nobody wants the charity hospitals to come back, talk about socialized medicine.

Thank goodness the Republicans are foolish and promising to go backwards a decade in health care, with tomorrows costs anyway. If they were clever, they would be saying that they would fix the problems in ACA and move forward towards fascist utopia. Trumpland, Trumpland über alles . . .

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

If you mean it was the logic to get big pharma, big insurance and big hospitals much more money. You're right. If you think it was about buying votes for the Ds you're probably right.
    If you think that adding another layer of bureaucracy to the existing mess was logical you're dreaming. It was poorly conceived, poorly written, poorly enacted and horribly administered. If you want to give the president points for compassion then properly dock him and the Ds for their creation. THEY made the deals with pharma et al NOT the Rs. THEY made it a political gambit before the Rs. THEY had ALL the power in the Executative and legislative branches ( majorities in both the House & Senate). It is THEIR administration than screwed up every facet of the implementation.
    BTW @red55 it's no defense to say the Rs had/have no reasonable alternate. The president and a democrat congress created this mess. They should take responsibility and fix it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

" The Affordable Care Act’s employer mandate, which requires employers with more than 50 full-time workers to offer most of their employees insurance or face financial penalties, was one of the law’s most controversial provisions. .....10 months after the first phase of the mandate took effect, covering companies with 100 or more workers, many business owners say they are finding very few employees willing to buy the health insurance that they are now compelled to offer.

Some 14 million previously uninsured adults have gained coverage in the last two years, the Obama administration estimates.

Most of those gains, though, have come from a vast expansion of Medicaid and from the subsidies that help lower-income people buy insurance through federal and state exchanges. Workers who are offered affordable individual coverage through their employers — a group that the employer mandate was intended to expand — are not eligible for government-subsidized insurance through the exchanges, even if their income would otherwise have qualified them.

Low participation can pose problems for employers, especially smaller ones. Insurers are reluctant to sell policies to companies with low enrollment, because they fear that only the sickest employees will buy coverage.

Until this year, most insurers would not cover groups that fell short of their minimum participation requirements. The Affordable Care Act struck down that policy — a sea change for the industry — by prohibiting minimum participation rules from being used to deny coverage to any employer with 100 or more workers. But there is a big loophole: Insurers are required to issue the policies, but they are not required to renew them."
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...no’-to-health-insurance/ar-AAfDrEw?li=AAa0dzB

ACA is not what it was sold to the American public as. As with most policies, the loopholes and exceptions are rampant. And much of it was based on what they thought people would do. Playing economic psychologist was a colossal waste of time and money.

red, I just don't buy that the only options are "go back" or "fix this shit".

7. red55

Well, the only other option is to leave it alone.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The older I get the more republican I get. I'm starting to think fuck everyone else just look after me and mine.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. red55

It's not an either-or situation. You can look out for yourself on personal matters and still recognize we're all in this together on our national best interests. Moderates have a hard time explaining to extremists that it is not a black and white world. There are shades of gray and you can have your cake and eat it, too.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

He didn't lie...he said you could keep your plan, and you can. What he left out was, you won't be able to afford it.