Academic Progress Reports (APR's) Released

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Aubie16, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

This is the first one released that sanctions will be a part of.

Here is the link if anybody wants to check it out first hand.
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/lega...research/academic_reform/school_apr_data.html

LSU football is in fine shape.

Ya'll had men's tennis in the top 10% of their sport.

Top 10% of football

I'm proud of the fact that Tuberville is doing a good job of graduating his players. I know very few people here like him, but you can at least respect this part of his job.

Other notable football scores...

Auburn 981
    Georgia 950
    LSU 935
    Alabama 916

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

This thing is such a joke in its present form. Consider, a coach has had 18 players for 4 years. Out of those 18, 18 graduate. BUT because of few decided to transfer because of lack of playing time, enrolled in another college, that basketball team has a failing score?

Scholarship reductions were put in place with a goal of leveling the playing field. Hopefully, they wanted to create an atmosphere where smaller schools could compete with larger schools...therefore earning more revenue and we'd have more schools that weren't a finacial burden on the academic side of the school. HOWEVER, look at the schools that were penalized.

In Division I-A football, Temple (9), New Mexico State (6), Toledo (6) Hawaii (5), Middle Tennessee (5), Western Michigan (5) Buffalo (3) and Northern Illinois (2) were penalized.

In Division I basketball, Cal-Poly (2), Centenary (2), East Carolina (2), Hampton (2), Jacksonville (2), Kent State (2), Maryland Eastern Shore (2), New Mexico State (2), South Carolina State (2), Texas State (2), Sacramento State (1), DePaul (1), Florida A&M (1), Lousiana Lafayette (1), Louisiana-Monroe (1), Louisiana Tech (1) and Prarie View (1) were penalized.

Of the 99 sports teams that will lose scholarships, 90 are men's teams and 9 are women's teams. The majority are in three sports: football (23), baseball (21), and men's basketball (17).

(Florida A&M, already on probation and losing 30 'ships was penalized another 8)

I realize this is still a "work in progress." They need to progress!!

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Wow... UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, & Louisiana Tech are all losing a basketball scholarship. Not sure if that is Centenary of Louisiana on the list or not.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Thanks, that link explains it. There is a Centenary College in New Jersey too though. Surprised that Centenery College of Louisiana's basketball program is even D1.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Robert Parrish played at Centenary. They have been serious about basketball for a long time.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

That's not how it works anymore. You don't get penalized if the kids are in good academic standings when they transfer. They only count if they were failing at the time of transfer or had withdrawn. Kids that quit going to school after their final sports season has ended also count against the score.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

i don't think that is the case...you may be right though.

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

not suprising to see the UL's and La Tech on there.. when you get the straps, you usually have to take academics or athletic ability.. the top schools get the guys with both..

10. 00Tiger

00Tiger Founding Member

I'll take up for the little guys on this one. 63 petitions were submitted by BCS schools to waive the standards for this upcoming year or they would have lost scholarships too. Only 16 were repealed. The others were accepted because of "the universities mission statement". There are 65 BCS teams, guess who did not submit waivers. Only 2: Duke and Stanford.

If I were a president at a Mid-major school and saw that mostly all the restrictions went to mid-major schools, I would be banding together like some MFers and pull the NCAA's punk card.

If the NCAA wants to change the rules for better grad rates, fine but you better make sure it is fair for everyone.