ACTIVE SHOOTER: MARJORY STONEMAN DOUGLAS HIGH SCHOOL IN PARKLAND

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bayou Tiger, Feb 14, 2018.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

According to Twitter, it’s Trumps fault.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

It is time (actually, way past time) for significant and disruptive gun control.

No one needs weapons that hold large magazines or that can be modified to fire in near automatic manner. There is no rational counter-argument for ownership of these type weapons. A single shot, breech loaded 22 would satisfy ones 2nd Amendment “rights.”

Anyone who would not trade their “AR-15” (black rifle) or AK in for the lives of the 17 children is an asshole and deserves public condemnation.

3. HalloweenRun

I have preached this: real, harsh, quick consequences for any crime conducted with a firearm, forever. Even the most passionate and aggressive gun controller NEVER mentions swift and enduring punishment for shooters, or potential shooters.

The triangle: effective measures regarding weapons, increased mental health, and immediate and harsh punishments, would work!

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

How did this happen? Schools are Gun Free zones.

Bayou Tiger, furduknfish and Bengal B like this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Good point. The fact is that laws, rules, background checks etc are meaningless if enough of our society doesn’t care or observe them. More than anything it will take a conscious and prolonged effort to change how we think and act toward others.
    Crazy people like those committing these atrocities didn’t just start appearing in the last few years. They’ve been around forever. What has changed is that Society has given the license to act as we want without concern for others or social norms. I know I sound like an old foggy but it’s true. If any joe or Jane can walk around naked or flout a law, crazy people see that and take it one step further. Laws and mores are only as effective as people’s willingness to follow them.

KyleK likes this.
  6. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I don't feel this is a gun control issue. This is a social issue. It the breakdown of society. This stuff didn't happen 30 years ago. What's changed since then? One thing is social media. Kids do not know how to relate to each other because they text, use snapchat, instagram, etc to communicate. Another is raising this kids to be all about "me". Everyone gets a trophy, everyone has to be on the team, mommy and daddy will make sure you do what I want, etc. Kids these days weren't raised like we were. Its sad that they don't understand consequences or human decency anymore

7. HalloweenRun

OMG! You are right. I will just run around in circles, waving my hands and wailing at the top of my voice!

Bayou Tiger and shane0911 like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's easier to just blame it on guns and whine for more laws that won't stop the next wacko.

9. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

What gun control law would have stopped this when the guy had red flags on him that didn't stop it?

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Until we outlaw murder, this will continue to be a problem

watson1880 likes this.