Administrative Professionals and Overtime

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Sep 16, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've worked with many Admins, some that are brilliant and can multi-task thousands of things at once. Some that only perform the same mundane task for years. This leads to rising through the ranks and six figure salaries for a select few while the others wallow in misery.

For all of our "office"staff, we are exempt from overtime and expected to get the job done no matter how long it takes. Admins are the only office position that gets paid for overtime. I don't have a problem with this because they often get dumped with stuff at last minute that is ASAP in nature.

Is it fairly universal that Admins should get overtime pay? Why?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They don't where I work. It must be a corporate perk.

At LSU you get overtime if you are a classified civil service employee making an hourly wage. Unclassified faculty, professionals, and administrators work on monthly salaries and get no overtime.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

My Admins never got overtime, but I made sure they took time off when things were slow...

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know about LSU but people who are classified civil service state workers in other departments have told me that if they have to work overtime they don't get paid for it but they get compensatory time off. Its called K Time and some civil servants have accumulated several years worth. The use it to retire early and still get a full pension.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Some agencies pay overtime but most agencies give K-time. I could be wrong, but I don't think unused K-time can be used for retirement credit.