Advocate: Shepard happy with move

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 2, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I can buy this.

2. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I think that is benificial to LSU and coach Miles to have that sort of statement out there. I know some look for negatives anywhere, but this is a true positive, Miles is a man that sticks to his word. I am pretty sure RS is a smart guy, he saw the writing on the wall early on, and let the coaches know before they had to convince him where he should be playing.

Or

Gonzalez came in and convinced him where his place was in the NFL, ala Harvin. And this line is a coached line meant to help us out in recruitment in the future.

I tend to think its a mixture of both.

1 person likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think Shep is a stand up guy, and like Red said i think he knows if he wants a future in the NFL he better start trying to play something other than QB.

However, i just want to know why he thinks Crowton is a mastermind?

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

This conversation happened before Gonzalez was on board, so I think RS just realized the best opportunity for success was at WR.

I think it is a credit to Miles that he was honoring the promise he made to a recruit. I'm sure he knew just as well that RS would be best utilized at WR, but he gave his word to the kid.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, any top SEC coordinator with a complex offense based on precise passing and route adjustments keying on shifting, deceptive defenses is going to look like a mastermind to a high-schooler coming from an offense with two main plays--Russell run for daylight and Homie go long.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

good point.

7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i want to see more of the "homie go long," but with fewer drops.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Just so I'm clear on this, what exactly did Les promise Shep regarding his "shot" at QB? Did that entail promising actual PT at QB as a true freshman? IMO, a shot means coming into spring practice and competing to earn the position. Once that's done and he's at the bottom of the depth chart, as far as I'm concerned, Les has honored his promise and could have moved him over to WR. As it was, a lot of time was wasted having Shep start over from square one learning a new position in midseason. I agree it's good to see Les honoring his commitment, but unless that included significant QB PT, at some point good sense has to kick in and he has to convince his player of what his best fit is, not vice-versa. No bashing intended, just trying to understand the thought process here.

9. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

That would require at least two or three other players from the "homie, play catch" school of football. We still should try to use RS's arm on occasion, but I think it's best he stay as a slot receiver/RB.

10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Throw out of the wildcat, or halfback option pass would be good.