"Affluenza" Case

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Dec 13, 2013.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

thats fucking terrible.

2. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

I hope the little punk gets everything he deserves. And the judge needs to be kicked off the bench. If it had been his family you could bet that kid would be 50 when he got out of Prison.
    Putting people in body bags, especially kids, is the toughest part of a firefighters job.

LSUDad and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Rich and black

How else can you explain O.J. Simpson murdering two people and beating the rap

The common denominator here is not race. It is money. Rich people of all races get off. Poor people of all races go to jail

VampMuse and gyver like this.
  4. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Money talks and bullshit walks. Show me the money!

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

agreed

LSUDad likes this.
  6. Soyaprincess

Soyaprincess Freshman

the family is getting sued for millions... and i would imagine that it would be a very easy case to win. so at least there's that. :(

7. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Without a doubt it's all about the money.

A quick, but true, story. I serve as a public defender in two separate parishes but the same judge sits in both places and we're frequently in one parish for court one day and the other parish for court later in the week.

A couple of months ago I had a couple of clients charged with Possession With Intent to Distribute Schedule I, or in normal people talk they got caught selling weed. One of them, male, was a straight up weed salesman -- but apparently not very good at it because he had to use my services. He had a significant -- but still fairly small -- amount of weed packaged for sale when he got busted. The other, female, had fallen on hard times and sold one $20 bag to a cop. It worked out for both of them. The DA reduced the charge to 2d offense possession of weed (still a felony) and they got probation with the carrot at the end that if they are successful on probation the charge will be dismissed (pretty standard deal).

Later that same week, in the other parish, another defendant who had private counsel also had a PWID weed charge. He had a whole bunch of weed in his car -- again packaged for sale -- when he got stopped on the interstate. Again the DA (but a different DA) reduced to possession 2d. But this time the judge sentenced him to probation (with standard dismissal upon completion) that was to run until he paid a $15,000.00 fine. He was sentenced and came back within the hour with a certified check and the charge was dismissed. I think he's a PhD and maybe even a professor somewhere out of state, but I didn't pay much attention.

Moral of the story? The person with the greater amount of weed, but who had resources, walked out of the courtroom that day not a convicted felon. The people with the smaller amounts, but who had no real resources to speak of, have to serve probation and might -- but are not guaranteed -- the have their records clear. Money bought that dismissal.

As an aside, my two clients are both white. The PhD is black.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I'm 38 years old and have 2 misdemeanors on my criminal record... (possession of alcohol under legal age '95), and (2nd degree criminal mischief '97) I broke my first ex-wifes car window... almost 20 yrs later and I still have issues finding decent employment here. Because they're out of state charges from Iowa, I can not get them expunged as IA does not allow this procedure. Yay me.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Damn the mother fucking man. What a story. That sums it up right there, the hypocrisy of our democracy.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The little shit stain and his mother have disappeared. A warrant has been issued for him.