After re-watching the game.......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ch0sn0ne, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

It hurts even worse.

Flynn is obviously having a hard time fighting off the ankle injury. Of his 35 passes 16 were underthrown, and 7 sailed on him. A couple of the underthrows were caught thanks to the receivers coming back to the ball, and a few were dropped as well. We had 6 dropped passes.

As far as the underthrows/sailers, this has a lot to do with Flynn not being able to plant his back foot IMO. He is healing some, as you can tell by his ability to scramble returning some.

During the live game, I was cursing the Oline. But after reviewing the tape, they did a pretty damn good job. Flynn had loads of time and open targets all over the field. He knows he isn't very accurate right now and appears to be very hesitant in his throwing, almost like he knows he can't make the throw.

Even when he did make a good throw our receivers didn't help him out a lot. This could be another reason for the hesitation. IDK.

The running game was amazing in the first half. Charles Scott should have never came out though. He was in rhythm, and they could not stop him.

When RP came in the game the UK defense was confused and looked lost. We gained yards even though all he did was hand the ball off. They knew he had an 80% completion ratio and had to defend the pass, but also knew he didn't throw much. This had them guessing big time.

I'll admit, I fast forwarded through most of the defense for us. It's pretty boring watching zone all night with no blitzes. What happened to our genius DC? he has bee out of it for 3 weeks now.

Losing Chevis killed us in the end, they ate Eugenes lunch.

I was worried about this game anyway, but we had it won, and didn't continue what got us the lead.

We are definitely not out of it, but we have a long road and need a lot of help. Plus we need to make some changes, and get healed up.

Hang in there, we still have a chance.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

They definitely took advantage of Jai. That doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in our CBs for next year.

The injuries are hurting us & it was one of many factors that without any one of which we probably win this game.

As much as people clamor for Tolliver & Byrd, Byrd drops a pass (questionable, but none the less) & Tolliver gets to penalties called. It's hard to blame our play calling when we obviously can't trust our passing game. Flynn isn't sharp. It looks like he's waiting on the receivers & has to watch them all the way through because he doesn't trust where they're going to be.

Scott really did look good in the first half and I bet the coaches are kicking themselves for not using him more in the second half.

3. IhateLouHoltz

IhateLouHoltz Founding Member

Man I can't even bring myself to read about the game props to you for actually watching it again.

4. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

the only comment I have after re watching the game is "ITS DICKSON!!!" not freakin DIRK-SON :po:. Thats the second straight game....be a professional, you're not working at Checkers!!!

5. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Almost exactly my thoughts as I watched it again this afternoon.:eek:ldskule:

6. LSUguy31

LSUguy31 Guest

Flynn looks his recievers down too long. And he's holding the ball too long. If you noticed we couldn't get pressure on Woodson... he gets rid of the ball before the defense gets to him. I don't think the ankle was his problem in this game. He was uncomfortable in the pocket and looked for too many reasons to run and not throw.
    But it doesn't matter... when he was throwing well Lafell couldn't hold on to anything. It's hard to move the ball when you drop key 1st down conversions. It's easy to blame Flynn, but the truth be told the recievers are making him look terrible.

7. edyel

edyel edyel

It took me until noon to even pull up the articles. cbssportsline,espn,etc. There is/was a picture on one of the websites of the stadium after the game and Dickson is sitting on the field with his head down and the KY team celebrating around him. Did not like to see that at all.

8. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

I actually think the opposite.

I think the receivers dropping a few balls has made it look like he is not playing as bad as he really has been.

The drops are easily noticed and a lot of folks will say they are the biggest problem. While I sure would like to see less drops, the truth of the matter is that since the injury, Flynn couldn't hit a dump truck in stride. He has no mustard on his passes. They are either short, or he tries to overcompensate for his lack of umph, and sails it over their heads.

The blocking has been there for the most part, and the receivers are open. The windows are smaller in the SEC and if you don't have either a hell of a touch, or a bullet arm, you will struggle. Flynn has neither since the injury. Before the injury, he looked pretty darn good. So I will give him that excuse since I find it hard to believe that he all the sudden forgot how to throw a football.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Ding Ding Ding, we finally have a winner!

I have watched this game multiple times since yesterday, and counted more drops than you did. And by drops, I mean hitting guys in their chest, or BOTH hands, or face mask. Give him those drops, and he's completing over 70% of his passes. 70% is pretty damn good for a QB in the SEC. Give him half the drops, and our drives don't stall, we don't punt, and our D get's to rest a little. Lafell catches just some of the balls hitting him in the hands/face/chest, and defenses start paying more attention to him, opening up more opportunities for Mitchell/'Byrd/Tolliver.
    Give him only a handful of the drops, and his confidence in his recievers goes through the roof, and he's no longer as tentative as he's been.
    Have only one or two of those drops actually caught, and we're no longer one dimensional when it comes to playcalling. The run will be there, because we are a threat to pass. The pass will be there, because we can run the ball.
    Suddenly, drives last longer, we rack up yards, we score points. All while the defense is resting, to be at full strength to go out and defend a lead, and don't have to feel like the game is constantly riding on their shoulders.

10. LSUguy31

LSUguy31 Guest

I agree 100%. Seems since Doucett went out we've become too reliable on the run and everyone knows it. I watched one pass yesterday go right through the armks of Lafell and watched him dropped others that most high school players could catch. I can't count how many drives stalled becasuse Lafell didn't come through on 3rd down.