Again lets not be like Auburn - WE are not SEC West Co-Champs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Nov 30, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Auburn is all pumped about their Co-West titles.

Here is one of their posts.

" but when recruits visit the Plains should we hide the trophys presented by the SEC for 2001 & 2002???? Sure, what recruit would be impressed with the fact AU has won or tied for the last 3 west championships" -(Thats Border line funny)

I guess we can show recruits OUR Co-Championship title and next to it, a huge SEC and Sugar Bowl CHampionship (Whats more impressive). Knowing Saban (if there is such a thing) he will hide it in a Closet, No one celebrates finishing second

I guess they can do what they want, but LSU and its fans have seen greated things, then Co-Championships. Let schools like Auburn celebrate and raise the trophy of Co-Champions as they watch the SEC title game like us.

I on the other hand realized we had to make one play to defend our Title. Until we make it to Atlanta again, We are champions of nothing. I am proud of our Tigers, I am proud to be an LSU Tiger, but we are watching the SEC title game, just like everyone else.

AS far as I am concerned, Arkansas no matter how lucky they are, are SEC West Champs. The rest of us, looking in.

Till Next year, I am heading to whatever Bowl game we make, then closing down shop. This has been a long and painful year, with little to cheer about except for a the Promise of a Season that could have been. Remember how we all felt after Florida ?

Seems so long ago. 49 Seconds and 77 yards seperated us from SEC West Champs (Tied with Alabama at 2 loses). Now we are in 4th place. Seems so long ago.

Thanks Tigers for another Exciting year and Thanks Saban for what you do.

Geaux Tigers
    See you next year.

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

a few points .

1) no one is "co-champions" I think Arkansas, LSU and Auburn are actually tri-champions.

2) LSU will receive a trophy, whether you want it or not, for being SEC West Champions this year.

texastiger - i used to down play the whole "co-champs" thing myself. However, on the Auburn pay board I belong to, there are a few people who are parents of active Auburn players. When I questioned our claim to the SEC W CC, I was quickly rebuked by these people.

I think in all of our love and passion for these games, we sometimes forget the kids that are playing. While I'm sure LSU and Auburn players alike would rather be playing in Atlanta next weekend, I am sure they are quite proud of their accomplishments, and the trophy they receive for it.

3. DC-Tiger

DC-Tiger Founding Member

Another topic

Hey Chuck, question on another topic. Are you guys still actively recruiting JaMarcuss Russell or have you eased off? I see that Omer Conner has you guys listed as his favorite. Also, is Brandon Cox coming back next year? Thanks.

4. chuck

chuck Founding Member

no problem .

Brandox Cox is returning. He will actually participate in Bowl Practices. Because he never enrolled, he still has four years of eligibility.

We are still recruiting Russell and Conner. However, the qb that I think is highest on our draft board is Kelsey Luke, from Phenix City, AL.

I believe the last I saw (through rivals) was that Russell was coming down to LSU, UT and Auburn. Conner was a strong lean to Ole Miss - although we weren't out of the picture yet. Luke is coming down between Auburn and bama.

5. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

Re: no problem .

I hope we get JaMarcus, but I don't know if we are going to be able to land him, we already got 2 of the best quarterback recruits in the nation in Robert Lane and Matt Flynn....I honestly believe Lane will be a LSU Tiger according to all the Neville People I work with and his own father is pushing him to go to school....I feel pretty confident he will be wearing purple and gold next year....next year at quarterback we will be strong....We get Mauck back and if Marcus don't transfer to Southern, and we got Lester Ricard, and Lane, and Flynn coming in as recruits that is 4 players capable SEC quarterbacks if they get experience.....the reason why we might not get JaMarcus is simply a numbers game......and I still Believe that Tennessee will get Chris Leak even with his brother getting dogged by phat phil....so a numbers game will be going on there as well......So I say Auburn might have the best shot at Signing him.....only quarterback they really got is Campbell....Cobb is a senior I think, and only other quarterback I think they got is Cox (who has a history of getting hurt sorta like Toefield) so JaMarcus at Auburn makes Since....but with that being said.....I would love JaMarcus to come to LSU that creates an intersting and fun problem for a coach to have some quarterback controversy when Lane, Flynn, and JaMarcus hits their Junior year

6. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I really disagree chuck, I think very few people who have ever played sports would be that proud of the trophies that LSU and Auburn will get, they did not win the West, and they know that, its not like these people are six years old and excited to get a trophy, I'm sure they will feel that the don't deserve it.

7. chuck

chuck Founding Member

well

I'm basing this on the words of these kids parents . .so I'm not so sure . .

Obviously, I think everyone would prefer going to the game. But, I for one am not going to tell my team that they didn't earn the trophy.