Al Woods cleared by NCAA...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sphincter_boy, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

This is only what I have heard.......but a few people I know who played and coached agaist him in high school said that he could have dominated the games much more if he had wanted to, but he took ALOT of plays off. Maybe these people are wrong, or maybe he did take plays off--but only because he wasn't challenged by the compitition. I don't know. I just hope that his motor will run a little better against SEC compitition--if in fact it wasn't running all out against Single A high schoolers.

2. sphincter_boy

sphincter_boy Founding Member

6'8" is what they had him listed as in HS...so they probably measured him with his cleats on....as HS's do with many HS atheletes, including me back in the day! lol

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Tiger Rag has him listed at 6-4, 327 on there site.

4. sphincter_boy

I have a friend on Al's former HS staff...he played quite a bit as a two-way player, so that had a lot to do with him taking plays off towards the end of games.

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

They have him listed at 6'4" on rivals. Four inch cleats are something I've yet to see.

That's very odd. How does a guy that stands 6'4", end up listed at 6'8"? That's so way off, it's not even funny.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

By the way, this guy is a five star recruit. Can't wait to see him play.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

He's not listed at 6'*8" anywhere on scout I've seen, he's listed as 6'4".

Al Woods Profile
    Ht: 6-4 Wt: 327 40: 5.2
    Position: DT, DE
    Year: Class of 2006
    High School: Elton HS
    (Elton, LA)
    College: LSU

8. sphincter_boy

You just aren't using your imagination. HS coaches will measure and weigh with all sorts of "additions". If you're light, they'll weigh you in full gear holding a 20-lb sand bag. If they want to "embellish" your height, they'll measure you in full gear, helmet on, and, since they're probably not as tall, the stick used to cap the top of your head will be angled up. Seen it too many times. Scout and Rivals and all those guys actually get more correct measurements...I'm not saying that I disagree with them, just what he was listed at in HS.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A lot of players shrink when they appear at college. Some shrink again when they go pro.

Look at a photo of Glen Davis, listed as 6-9 by LSU, next to Tyrus Thomas, also listed at 6-9. Davis is clearly about 3 inches shorter, but they list him at 6-9 anyway.

I never have trusted heights and weights listed by schools. They have private agendas.

Pro scouts bring their own scales and tape measures.

LSU offcially lists Woods as 6-5, 235.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I'm very aware of how they'll beef up weights and heights, but I have never seen them add four inches. I think you may have added a couple.