All hail Jordan Jefferson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DwayneBowned, Dec 31, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I hear what Bandit and Herb are saying.

I just think it's a bit of a stretch to think Jefferson could not run the offense Hatch was called upon to execute. Hand off to the running back. Seems harmless. Run the option. A lot to that, but he seems pretty natural with it. Throw some safe passes, rolling him out the pocket or quick 3 step drop, avoiding sacks or desperate passes. Seems like something he could handle.

I would not be arguing any of this had Jefferson not looked so comfortable from THE VERY FIRST SERIES in the Ole Miss game. He was already much better than Hatch after watching all of about 5-7 plays. He had only started to get more reps in practice a couple of weeks earlier when Hatch went down. It's not like 2 months had gone by.

Replace Hatch's reps with Jefferson's in the summer and you got a QB that would have been ready by game 1 to contribute.

Hindsight is 20/20 for us fans. But they get paid the big money to decide this early on.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Yes we do, Lee threw an int in every game he played or how is this.
    He probably averaged an int a game.
    I think you are reaching here.
    We didn't have a qb that had a complete game all year.:rolleye33:
    He didn't throw an INT or a PICK SIX, WE didn't give GT any momentum.
    Maybe JL was snake bit and a head case or maybe the ball never bounced his way.
    I'll take any QB that the ball bounces their way especially this year.

I think you are reaching here also.
    JJ is a true freshman and did make mistakes but he played better than any redshirt freshman we have or had.
    I don't think that one play was a fumble, I believe it was a shuffle pass toward the sidelines!

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

He had a good game. And I think the job is certainly his to lose going into spring training.

But I've watched the game three times now. I've watched his play in the Ole Miss and Arky games.

He didn't have all that great of a second half. And if our defense and special teams don't get those turnovers for us, our stalled drives would be a lot fresher in everyone's memory.

If you haven't rewatched the game, you should. Provides some perspective.

4. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Which is why I haven't commented yet. I was watching the game at a New Years Eve party and remember thinking JJ looked like an angel, but hell so did my Washington Apple martini...so what do I know.:eek:

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I have no clue why we are talking about the Ole Miss and Arky games?
    Maybe I missed something here but I don't care about those games.
    I am referring to the Ga Tech game.
    If you are talking about the Ole Miss and Arky games then I won't waste my time.
    I don't watch games we lose again most of the time especially this season.
    I could've swore JL played both of those games but don't really care!

I find it interesting how people on this board take up for a redshirt freshman.
    I'll just call him Jamie Howard but will totally criticize a true freshman.
    If I didn't know better I'd think some here would try and convince me that JL had a better year than JJ.

No need to respond, I won't waste my time with some of you on this subject!:dis:
    I'm not totally talking about you here Bandit but this is what I see on this board and in this thread!:dis:

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Ole Miss and Arky matter in the JJ discussion because those games are part of his recent history - just like all of Lee's PT.

As for rewatching, I'm talking about the bowl game. Especially the second half.

7. islstl

Bottom line, JJ looks like a QB in control of the offense. He's not perfect, but he gets "it".

Lee NEVER looked like that. He had some beautiful throws, I will give him that. The 2nd half of the Auburn game was awesome and he can always take that as a lasting memory of his LSU days.

I think we can all agree with that.

8. Meg0507

Meg0507 Freshman

Ok I gonna tell it like i see it

1. QB - Jefferson played excellent Wednesday night, and many would say it's just one game. It looked alot better than Lee's curtain call against AU.
    Jefferson seems to be light years ahead of Lee and Hatch with guess what the offense. He supposedly didn't know the playbook well enough to play earlier this season. To me all the "creative" plays Crowton called looked alot different than the "basic" plays called for Lee and his bro Hatch. Just about everyone says the offense is to much for Jordan to handle but damn, i,gtech's d,you and the world couldn't tell what crowton had up his sleeve Wed. night not like for the first nine games of the season. I am tired of people making excuses and drawing back that the spring will be competitive with the QB's returning. Jefferson should be the QB so Crowton can revolutionize the offense instead of simplfying it to protect Lee/Hatch.

I dont have stats on QB's, Jefferson wasn't outstanding on paper but HE made LSU click, and finally become the aggressor in any game this season.

Jefferson may not have brought us to the BCS title but the team would have had much better success amongst the defensive struggles.
    Jefferson played well against ARK, an to me hancuffed and stereotyped in the second half of that game, which i believe led to the defensive breakdown.

Lee made plays to win the AU game but they were terrible, and cleaned house with coaches this year.Lee and Hatch had more than enough time to improve so fans can forget their mistakes. I'm just waiting for next season to see if Jordans the Starter that if he will get a mercy pass that Lee recieved from week 3-next spring .

2. Defense- we all know how that goes but the defense played better even though gtech didnt show up for the game. I not saying GTECH is bad But the entire LSU Roster looked like a Juggarnaut 85% of the game. Players did their jobs and played LSU D for the first time besides BAMA because their opponents weren't spotted 6 or given momentum from a plethora of 3 and outs.

LSU should have plenty success nest season and Coach Les finally woke up the sleeping giant he has in his backyard in Baton Rouge, La

And a #1 Recruting class wouldn't hurt either.:geaux::crystal::crystal::helmet:

1 person likes this.
  9. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I agree with the point that JJ should have completely taken Hatch's role when Hatch went out at Auburn. Up to that point, however, Hatch had shown mad wheels for a QB and smart decision-making with his throws. The offense churned down the field and we were winning the field position and TOP battle with Hatch in command. JJ might not have been ready in the early going to pull that off, but backing up JL would have almost certainly gotten him there through the trash games. Maybe we would have won Ole Miss and Auburn.

The defense would still have to play, though...

Sheppard was all over the field in ST, too. Baker can lay the wood, but we don't know how his LB or coverage skills really are.

10. islstl

Are you referring to App State and North Texas State?

McCarthy could have been successful in those games, much less JJ.

I remember everybody wondering why JJ didn't get any meaningful snaps in the first 2 games of the year. So this isn't just a hindsight is 20/20 kinda thing.