All hail Jordan Jefferson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DwayneBowned, Dec 31, 2008.

1. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

i don't think JJ was kept out of the game for any reason that's been discussed here so far. I think it's because he did not have the trust of, the camaraderie with, and the leadership that it takes to win games. i think hatch getting hurt, then lee getting hurt forced CLM into putting JJ in the position to gain that trust at practice and in games, which naturally assembled the camaraderie, and allowed JJ to find it within himself to step into the leadership role that is required to manage the offense on the field and lead our team to the win.

i definitely would not say that CLM and staff "missed it" with JJ. i feel they knew what they had all along and were developing it into what we needed behind the scenes. that coaching staff gets paid millions of dollars to practice the art of their careers. i don't think that much of an investment by the university was standing around clueless about JJ's skill. i believe that they did what they thought best for the team with the talent they had in the time allowed.

as far a JJ goes in the bowl game: FANTASTIC. over the last few months he has obviously developed into the guy we need leading the offense (and the team) on the field. congrats to JJ, to the team and the coaches for a pretty convincing win against those ugly azz uniforms and the GA Tech team that wears them!

GEAUX TIGERS! i'm excited about next year and looking forward to the spring game.

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Coach LM is good at what he does, but to say that coaches dont make mistakes is silly, we all do. using the argument that you make millions so you cant misjudge is silly. If that were true no coaches would lose their jobs. I believe they did what they thought was best too. Thought and IS is two different thyings though.

It's possible that things emerge on game day that aren't as evident or obvious in practice. Which is why he should of had more Play time.

BUT it is all moot now. CLM is our man he has what it takes. You have to love a man with great integrity and savvy. I think we are out of the woods, cant wait to see Next YR's team!

3. msully

msully Founding Member

I think he has learned the college game depth , he showed he has the mind set to be a starting QB.Now we have to hope that he is not like last years great LSU hope at Quarterback , . Right ?? Right !! Geaux Tigers !!!

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

If that is the case they must have held back the defense as well. It's as if our defense disappeared after the National Championship game and didn't awaken until just prior to the Peach Bowl.

5. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

They didn't have to worry about the pass. The only thing this defense can do right is defend the run. In the games where we gave up big rushing yards, it was only after we loaded up on the pass that the opposition would bust a big run.

I loved JJ's composure to hit a left-handed shuffle-pass under duress to CS for nine yards. He's obviously our man for at least the next two years.

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

While I agree this was strength against strength, Georgia Tech is no ordinary running team and the LSU defense did a fantastic job of shutting down a very powerful running game. Some of that is due to - are you sitting down? - good coaching.

He was very poised all night. That half-fumble, half-shuffle pass, however, was not an example of his composure. I was hootin' and hollerin' with the rest of ya, but that was a huge high-school risk in a big bowl game. He got lucky with that. I bet he won't be doing it again anytime soon. It sure was fun to watch, though!

This is going to be a very, very interesting spring. I have to agree that Lee is going to find it difficult to take the job back. But I don't think it will be obvious until we find out who starts in Seattle next year.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

A true freshman after an entire season & 3 weeks of bowl practice IS NOT the same player that he was earlier in the year.

Just because JJ excelled in the bowl game does not mean that he would've had the same success earlier in the year.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Exactly. Jefferson joined the team in August and Les wanted to redshirt him, of course. Even when Jefferson came in to play late in the season, it was with a limited playbook. No way was he ready to play in September.

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think you are definitely wrong here.
    Coaches get fired all the time because they missed it or just didn't get it.
    Coaches also are stubborn and make mistakes.
    I'll give you 2 examples from one player alone named Elvis Grbac.

1) Marty Schottenheimer started Grbac over Rich Gannon during the KC win streak.
    2) Brian Billack for signing Elvis Grbac and starting him over anyone else.

This is of course from the NFL but it is the most obvious example I can think of other than JL starting over JJ.
    I think CLM's had a bad year but I was thinking that all coaches have a bad or down year from time to time, the best in the business.
    Bobby Bowden, Joe Pa for example.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

You mean he could've played as bad as JL?:confused:
    I take JJ over a confused, no improving QB anyday.
    Sometimes you have to play your bench, your wildcard when it aint workin.
    I rest my case.

I don't really want to get back into all of this mess again, its over.
    I just don't agree with some of you.
    Sometimes the coaches have to adapt IMHO and change the playbook when you have no QB.
    JL certainly wasn't ready either my friend!