All time LSU bball team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Lil Jules, Mar 6, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Sorry, it really was Wilson. Williams didn't guard Henderson.

The game was on a Saturday afternoon. Williams was one of the better foul shooters, Wilson was not; even Brown knew to keep Nitka away from the foul line. LSU dominated for 35 minutes, then Wayne Sims had a bad hair day and everything went south fast. Hugh Durham, doing his annual impression of lower body parts, was all over the court and should have been lit up on at least three occassions. It was a horrible loss.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I know what you mean, I just couldn't resist having the second team be the 1978-80 starting lineup--the best team that ever played at LSU. My first team were the most talented players.

Possibly, his scoring and rebounding were low. But I've always thought we lost that game because Ethan Martin had a bad night. Now, Ethan was the most consistent player on the team and only had three bad nights all season, but those were our three losses. Every other player had someone who could cover for him on an off night, but nobody could replace Ethan E. Martin.

But E had an bad night and was up against Isiah Thomas who just killed us.

4. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

Talking about players that never panned out what about Fess Irvin I was just a kid but I remember all the hype.

5. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Ethan put Thomas on the bench with foul trouble around the 5 minute mark of the first half. We had a lead. Dale decided to use the four corners at that point instead of taking it to Indiana. Thomas came back the 2nd half and they went on a 19-2 run and that was it.

The 79-80 team was my favorite, Greg Cook and DeWayne Scales dared anyone to come inside. The Tulane game in BR is on my greatest LSU moments list. They met a week earlier in the Superdome and LSU won a close one. Not so in the rematch, Dale pulled the starters with about 12 minutes to go. A few seconds later Roy Danforth (who left Syracuse to take the Tulane job, thus proving Tulane does graduate dolts) had a confrontation with Daddy Dale at the scorers table. Dale promptly called a TO, put the starters back in AND PRESSED. The student section went crazy. LSU won something like 124-78. It was great.

6. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

About Ethan's play vs Isiah Thomas, even Isiah admitted he fouled out playing E, but the refs didn't call it that way. Ethan had him blanketed until the two very quick fouls that both should have gone against Isiah, I was there in person and E had position both times; had the plays been 6-7 years down the road from the call it would have been Isiah's 3rd and 4th foul as the NCAA changed the rule on charging to clear up calls just like happened in that game.
    With those fouls it changed the game into Indianas' favor, from that point out LSU had no chance, with Macklin and Carter both hurt.

I think it was Wilson too who throw the ball away vs Georgia, I will have to look and see if I have that game on tape.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no it was john williams but you have the rest correct. everyone talked about it for years and it certainly wasn't about nikita. it was hotplate himself.

ask dale brown. he's discussed it nationally on many occassions.

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

all-time 6th man (imo)...Vernell "Band-Aid" Singleton

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know. Singleton was a starter most of his career, I never thought of him as a 6th man. The reserves that come to mind for me are:

1. Willie Sims
    2. Ricky Blanton
    3. Anthony Wilson
    4. Tyrone Black
    5. John Tudor

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I wish we could find a spot on these teams for my old buddy and LSU classmate, the late, great Don Redden. He may not have been as talented as some of the guys we've named, but Don could just flat-out BALL. We should find a spot for him on an LSU all-time team for his free-throw shooting ability alone.