Alleva's take on LSU Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Jan 11, 2010.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

well, that's fine. some people are fans of LSU because they attend the school or work for the school. other people were just brought up fans from birth. some people were brought up blue collar and can't even pass a university entrance exam (or graduate from high school.) it's just as much about the culture and the people as it is about LSU. win, or lose, LSU is going to be OK. but with LSU's program where it is right now, why be complacent? it won't last forever, so ride the bitch until there is nothing left! enjoy it while it lasts, and go down fighting. don't let it just slip away.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

crowton is still here and miles and alleva seem to think that's OK. but to be honest, all of this football talk is contagious. why doesn't everyone switch their focus to basketball or baseball or something ELSE besides football? anything else.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

He said championships or bust. I'd hardly consider the past season a bust. There have been plenty of seasons where I sat in the stadium and watched the other team celebrate after the games along with their fans. Game after game. Year after year. Those seasons were busts.

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Just on a brief search, it appears he probably issues a "A Letter from Joe Alleva" almost every month (just looking at first page of search results I found these below). But not all of them have to do with LSU football.

Sept 11, 2008
    A Letter to Fans from Athletics Director Joe Alleva - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

Oct. 23, 2008
    A Letter from Joe Alleva: Basketball Season is Here - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

Feb 5, 2009
    A Letter from Joe Alleva - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

March 2, 2009
    A Letter from Joe Alleva - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

March 20, 2009

April 13, 2009

July 1, 2009

Aug 13, 2009

Oct. 7, 2009

November 13, 2009

Dec. 21, 2009

Jan 8, 2009

Jan 11, 2009

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

neither would i, and i stated such. this just brings me full-circle back to the point i made about being complacent. you could be happy with 9 wins. you could be happy that you played alabama, florida and PSU close. or you could be pissed that you didn't take advantage of the situation and beat those teams. make no mistake about it. if LSU was just a little better on offense this season, look what could have been. crowton obviously doesn't fit. move on. :)

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

7. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I, personally think it's great that the fan base seems very disappointed in 8-5 or 9-4. Alleva's letter shows me that he and the football program see how demanding the fan base is. It's a GREAT thing. Keeps pressure on the Athletic Dept. to win, not just compete.

1 person likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

2 of LSU's 4 losses came to top-5 teams, too. Not many teams played Alabama AND Florida this season. Can you have no appreciation at all for a winning season in the top-20. Can you only be content with the BCS game?

Who gives a chit about being #110 in offense in five years or even next year? Winning is what matters. We win a lot of football games at LSU.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Alleva writes:

True, but teams that could do that should also be able to beat the likes of Washington, Vanderbilt, La. Tech, Miss St., Ole Miss and Arkansas handily. Instead, we lost to Ole Miss (will anyone argue it wasn't due to coaching?), needed OT against Arkansas and a goal line stand against MSU, and allowed Washington, Vandy and Tech to hang around uncomfortably late. Some will argue that the bottom line is wins, but the Tigers played down to their competition way too often this year.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Yeah, but the delusional thinking on your part is thinking LSU doesn't want to be National Champs every year like you want LSU to be. Why would LSU not? LSU hired Alleva from Duke, and their basketball program was a lot more dominant than our football program while he was there. That's a big part of the reason LSU hired him... for Championships.