Alleva's take on LSU Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Jan 11, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A pro-actrive mind set? You think that's the issue here? That red55 is pragmatic, so LSU is doomed to fail? :insane:

What in the world are you talking about? :huh:

What is complacent about recognizing that we can't win them all every year? You've nothing to base this on. LSU is far more likely to continue to produce than to enter some kind of downward spiral. We were better this year than last year, you know? Why don't you expect that to continue? Will 10 wins be good enough for you next year?

One of these years LSU is going to have an actual losing season again and then, maybe then, you will understand something important . . . 9-3 is a good year of football in the SEC. That's good, it's not great, but it's as good as any other program has done in this century.

That's what I don't undertand about the gloom-and-doomers. They compare LSU 2009 to LSU 2003 or 2007 and say "we suck". They don't compare us to the other major football programs, who have each had their own set of problems and had 8-and 9-win seasons, too. LSU is just not as bad as some of you make out.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Like I pointed out, not all the letters have to do with football and I think it would be interesting to look back and see what the letters about football said.

LSU Football record compared to letters from the AD (note that 2008-09 is an incomplete list of the letters from the AD)

9-4 -- 2009 -- 11 (from the ones I found above on a quick search)
    8-5 -- 2008 -- 5 (adding the Sept 11, 2008 one I found above on a quick search)
    --Alleva officially started as LSU AD on July 1, 2008--
    12-2 -- 2007 -- 16
    11-2 --2006 -- 17
    11-2 -- 2005 -- 17

9-3 -- 2004 -- 23
    13-1 -- 2003 --29
    8-5 -- 2002 -- ?
    10-3 -- 2001 -- ?
    8-4 -- 2000 -- ?

3. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Those last three paragraphs were very well said. But, I still don't think LSU should accept playing 3rd fiddle to Bama and Florida every year.

4. red55

You think that the team doesn't do that? I really don't care what the fans strive for, I just expect them to be realistic and support their team even if they have a top-10 WINNING season that disappoints you.

That's what I said . . . Rah-rah.

It's naive to think that lack of fan "pride" is LSU's football problem. You think its "pride" to condemn LSU for a decent season of football? I think its poor fan support.

5. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Rah-rah is not a bad thing. Look at how Tebow played the game. He inspired those around him with his passion for the game. I'm not saying that's the only reason Florida won championships, but it certainly didn't hurt.

6. red55

Try to understand what I'm saying, E.

Nobody is accepting playing third fiddle to Florida and Alabama just by recognizing that some years we will finish third and some years so will they. No kidding. We will be number 1 again and FLorida and Bama will be number 3 again. Hell, Bama was bottom tier of the SEC, unranked with a 7-win season in 2007, the last time we finished #1.

Some years we win more than others, but LSU has been and will continue to be competitive. Florida and Bama will not be champions every year, they never have. LSU never will either. But LSU, FLorida, and Alabama are widely considered to be the cream of the SEC . . . and rightfully so.

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

red55,

According to W/Ls, these past two years have been fine considering the years they've followed. But many of us are concerned not because we can't accept these records but because of the way LSU has been playing. You may not understand that, but that is where our concern is coming from. You say, who cares if we are 110 in offense 1 or 5 years straight? Many of us care because it is indicitive a drop in the level of play. When that happens in association with two disappointing years, many of us believe that is a cause for concern. Is it really that hard for you to understand?

PS - I thought Alleva's letter was great. It made me feel much better about the mindset of our athletic department. It is just words, but they are the right words. We will see how our football program responds.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i think the team and the coaches strive to win a championship every year. however, when it looks like it probably isnt going to happen, i dont see the team giving up and packing it in. they still play to win the games. (well, last year i think they packed it in, but this year i think they still fought to win every game.) i really cant ask any more than that.

unfortunately, i think there are some fans (relax, i didnt say everyone, or even everyone that is not happy with this year) that pack it in and think the season is over when a championship is out of reach.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Did i miss a meeting? When did coaches achieve some level to where they cant be criticized? Why is being critical mistaken for not caring about your school, or not being a "true" fan?

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Reds Post +1