Alot of arizona fans tonight

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jeffinbama, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

A bit of satire but lets look at the facts. We play Texas A&M Corpus Christi and we get 2000 true tiger fans. Tonight we have 10,000 people come to watch Arizona. If we had true fans, there would be 10,000 people there to support our team against the also rans. Kentucky does it, Arkansas does it, why cant we? It is 10 bucks to go to a game. Vitalle blasted us on National TV tonight. I just hope that doesnt affect future recruits to think that our fans dont support our team. I hope that this town and its fan base start supporting this team and its coach like it should. No one will ever know how much they have suffered the last 5 years with probation. Michigan has committed unbelievable crimes and the self imposed sanctions are less that what we got for giving away 5000.

I just wish I didnt live 400 miles away or I would go to every game no matter who the Tigers play.

GEAUX TIGERS

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I too watched the game and it was great to have so many fans. I wish we were stuffing the PMAC every home game too, but you have got to understand how low this program had sunk when Brady came here, coming off some bad losing seasons and on probation. You've also got to understand that LSU is first, foremost, and forever a FOOTBALL school. Basketball will always be second banana and will always struggle for attention. That said, there is no reason why we can't have a very successful basketball team that draws a lot of fans. We just have to win games. The fans will come to watch a winner, they did in 1999-2000. I hope this great victory tonight will be the first step in bringing this program up, and making Tiger basketball top notch. If we have a great season this year and cap it off with a solid performance in the NCAA Tourney, that will be the foundation on which this whole thing can be built. I think another concern that needs to be addressed is solving the arena problem. The PMAC is in deplorable shape and needs to be seriously renovated, if not torn down to make room for a new arena. The TAF has plans, but they cannot act as long as the state controls the property. Once we get control of the PMAC, we need to make sure the Tigers and Lady Tigers are playing in a first class facility that overawes recruits and opposing teams and gets the fans excited about coming out. LSU basketball also needs to be marketed better to the Baton Rouge area and the rest of the state, so that more average fans will come.

So there you have the three answers to fan attendance: WIN, MARKET, and FIX THE PMAC.

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I agree that the PMAC is a first class P.O.S. The lighting is subpar and takes 30 minutes to warm up. The chairs are putrid and covered with the ugliest color fabric imaginable.

The concession stands a few and far between and are manned with high school kids that take forever to serve people. If there is a crowd more than 3-4,000 then the line will be atleast 10-15 minutes. I left to get refreshments at 8:00 left in the 1st half and didn't get back until 5 minutes before the end of halftime. It was easily 25 minutes in line. They made me miss the Tigergirls. AAAARRRRGGHHHH! :mad:

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I agree with Jeffinbama.
    Knowing that a lot of our problems were the results of probation and losing scholarships attendence before last night was embarassing. We were not great last year but still made it to the NIT. I know that means nothing, but it shows we did not suck. Brady's teams have usually been good defensive teams and fairly good at the basics. I cannot understand why more people did not show up in earlier games.
    If we want to have good basketball team and get good recruits we have to show the country that we will show up at all games. Crowd support has to come first, and the rest will follow.
    Who wants to play in front of 2000 to 3000 people every night? Do you think we would get good football recruits if we had only 18,000 to 27,000 fans in Tiger Stadium for games like Citadel, ULL, and Miami of Ohio?
    Vitale challenged us several times last night. We need to step up.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Basketball season tickets are expensive. They are more expensive than football tickets. I held four basketball tickets from 1980-1997. When the quality of play just doesn't add up to the cost of the tickets, many of us had to let them go. I couldn't find anybody interested in going to games anymore.

It's a fact of life--ranked teams that contend for titles will fill their arenas. The others will not. It really doesn't have anything to do with how big a Tiger fan you are.

Dale Brown took us to the NCAA tournament every year in the 1980's, twice to the final four. There were plenty of full arena's in those days. When this team looks like a consistent winner, the fans will return. It's a two-way thing.

It should also be mentioned that attendence is always lower before the SEC games start. Also it's a holiday weekend with the students (and many others) out of town. If the Arizona game had been played in February, it would have sold out.

When this team becomes a contender, I may buy season tickets again. Until then, I'll just keep buying individual game tickets for SEC games. Crowd support does not come first--it follows team effort and success. This LSU team has beaten an undefeated, top-ranked team. If it contends for the SEC championship and returns to the NCAA tournament, you will see the full arenas next year.

6. dallastigers

People that show up when we win are typical fair weather fans. Crowd support should come first. We are always fans win or lose. Brady's teams have always given effort and even with the sanctions have had some success. They deserve better. Why quit getting tickets when Brown left?

7. dallastigers

That is the same everywhere. Even at Kentucky they have more fans at a football game than at a basketball game. It is the nature of the sport and also having less games. It was the same in the 80's at LSU and during the 99-00 season when we won 28 games in basketball and football was bad in 1999.
    We have had some games with 2000 to 3000 people which is bad. That is like having 12,000 to 20,000 fans in Tiger Stadium. Even in 1999 it was never that bad in football.

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

The biggest factor of lack of fan attendence to date is without question the competition. No one cares to see Delaware St, Prairie View, aTm CC, and so on and so on. just as in football the rent-a-win games draw less than capacity.

Granted Brady wants to play these patsies to get some development in his program. It's time to beef up the schedule......starting next year. Still keep a few patsies to start as warm up but you have to add more than one marquee game if you want to put asses in the stands. Look at the Florida's, Kentucky's of the world............they play 5 or 6 marquee teams to start each year.........we should do them same.

As for facilities the PMAC is a joke it needs to be overhauled.......that scoreboard is like having a Jaguar in front of your $200-rent-a-month apartment........it doesn't fit. Improve everything around it.....new lighting and seats to start.

9. dallastigers

I agree rent a wins draw less of a crowd, but only filling 13 to 20 percent of the seats is much less than football rent a wins. I would expect it to be around 75 to 80 percent.
    The PMAC is past its prime but that should not stop fans from coming. I do hope the state will wise up, so TAF can do some work on it.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's bold talk coming from Frisco Texas. NOBODY calls me a fair weather fan, pal! I 'll bet I buy a hell of a lot more tickets than you ever have. Football season tickets for 25 years and Basketball for 17 years for starters.

The point that you missed is that some of us have limited funds and have to spend them wisely. We have to make decisions based on other factors than Rah-Rah. I still make Tiger basketball games, but I can't afford to subsidize them come hell or high water.

So how many home football and baseball games do you make Mr. All-weather fan? If it aint 100% then STFU and don't belittle other Tigers.