Alright, time to put up or shut up

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by beatbama, Sep 28, 2016.

1. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

I'm here to discuss new coaching candidates.

I thought Les was an outstanding coaching hire back when we hired him, and i was right. He turned out to be one of the best coaches in the history of the SEC

Compare Les to General Neyland for example:

During his 12 years at LSU (age 52 to 63),
    Les was 114-34 (77.0% win pct)

During his last 12 years at Tennessee, (age 44-49 and 54-60)
    General Neyland was 97-24-7 (78.5% win pct)

SEC Network @ SECNetwork
    Les Miles won 8 games in 11 straight seasons. Only SEC coaches in history with longer streaks: Bear Bryant (12), Phillip Fulmer (12), Steve Spurrier (12)

ESPN CollegeFootball @ ESPNCFB
    Since Les Miles 's 1st season at LSU in 2005, he has 42 wins vs ranked opponents. The only coach with more during that span is Nick Saban.

Highly unlikely we'll ever get another legend like Les, but who do you guys suggest that could be as good?

TigerTap likes this.
  2. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

As for wins vs ranked teams, this is how it's been since 2013

Attached Files:

3. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

ESPN's Ivan Maisel:
    "don't be surprised if Tigers fans wait a long time to return to where Miles had taken them."

well no shit. but we still need a new coach regardless (Les was hitting max retirement age 65), so who do we get?

4. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

You can be a fan of les miles and still agree it was time to go. Count me in that group

boblinfoto, kcal, tigermark and 6 others like this.
  5. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

+1 to an extent. Given that he already started the season, I think he should have been allowed to finish out this season. Man did I love him as a coach. But he really just wasn't as competitive in recent years.

As for a new coach, I really don't like the top candidates. Herman's good, but I don't like his style of offense. I know it works, but I hate the spread for my team. Same goes for Briles.

didit likes this.
  6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

He has been a good coach and has brought in OC and DC that did a decent job. Especially DC's. He usually got the best out of the team and made some gutsy calls that usually worked out and there is something to say about that. Some guys pull it off and some guys look like fools. I think it is the relationship to coach and player that makes some of the gutsy calls work.
    I appreciate the work he has done here, but could see it was time to go. He probably should've been let go last season and he could've been carried off the field with lot of love from players and fan. Now it is unceremonious and could've been handle better.

Between last year, the somewhat disrespect to Miles in this firing, and we will see how the next hiring goes, but the AD and staff are pathetic. This all could've been done different starting with last seasons fiasco.

Anyway, it was time for Miles to go though. He lost a lot of goodwill from me with the Lee/Jefferson fiasco. That was beyond belief and opened the door to see the true stubbornness of CLM. I started to turn on him at that point and started being more critical.

There also seemed to be a big change in his offense philosophy and it seemed he started limiting the creativity of OC's after that. Continually recruiting dual threat QB's but trying to run a conservative pro style offense that requires a pocket passer was a mistake made for many years. The ability for LSU to recruit the QB they needed and play the QB that should be playing has been a problem with Miles. Go back to Jamarcus and Flynn, Lee/Jefferson, Harris/Etling. Being a better athlete and more talent physically is not the only thing to consider.

So the Offense has been getting worse and worse for 5 yrs now and it is just horrid right now. So something had to change and I don't think an OC would've been enough. Miles would've hog tied them and their playbook. The only way a new OC would've changed things would be if Miles let them have free reign of the scheming and play calling. I'm convinced he is the reason for the offense being as bad as it is because it has been happening for 5 yrs. The 1 yr that we had a pro type QB to run this style offense was with Metts, the offense took off but the defense stunk.

It was time. Something needed to change. I just don't like the way the AD and staff and TAF have handled this for the last couple seasons and I'm scared that hiring the next HC will be a major FUBAR for the program.

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

As they say on Wall Street, "The trend is your friend." In this case, the trend is what doomed Les. Great man, great coach, but not recently.

8. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Count me in as a member of the Les Miles fan club, but it was time. CLM had a great run here.

Nick Saban unlocked LSU's potential and put us on the map. Les Miles came behind him and kept us there. Heck, he made us a consistent threat to win the West and the SEC for the vast majority of his tenure.

Now, this job isn't a stepping stone job anymore. It's now one of the premier jobs in all of college football. Les Miles had a lot to do with that.

But just like with Mack Brown at Texas, it was time for some freshness and change in the program.

LSU Strength likes this.
  9. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

Difference between the spread that Briles runs and the power spread that Herman runs, ala Urban Meyer, in my view. There are some teams running the spread without the ridiculous up tempo crap that ends up with you never being able to play D worth a damn, and I do like that.

But, since you asked who we want, and you don't seem to want Herman, I will say (as I have said since last Fall when thing were going lousy), that I like the idea of at least considering Brian Brohm at Western Kentucky. He runs a variation of Petrino's offense, which no one seems to have been able to figure out even though it has been around a while now, he knows QB play, and he doesn't come with Petrino's baggage.

$TigerFan$ likes this.
  10. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

From what I've seen Petrino runs the spread as well with emphasis on the pass. I recall Western Kentucky running the air raid when we played them. The "power spread" is more desirable than the traditional spread, but I'd prefer not to have either. Again, I know I'm being picky, but the spread is so gimmicky to me. Sad as it is, I love Saban/Kiffin's offense. There's just not another coach out there who will run it here that is a good head coach(Kiffin sucks).

I'm an Eagles fan, so you don't have to sell me on the up-tempo not working. If you thought our defense was on the field a lot this year...