Alright, time to put up or shut up

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by beatbama, Sep 28, 2016.

1. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I'd say Miles contributed more to the prestige of LSU's football program than Saban. Saban did give us the first championship and put us on the map, but Miles put up continuous 10 win seasons and competition for the SEC. I think the continued success that we saw most years was more important to our prestige than Saban's quick spurt.

P&G_wheelz007 likes this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Not worse than when Brown left. Texas was a Top-6 program when Brown was there, and they completely fell out of the first tier while Brown was still at the helm.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

There is ZERO wrong with being a power running team like Les wanted; especially when you have LF7. However, you have to protect him against teams that stack the box with 9/10 players. If we just had an accurate QB that made defenses respect the pass, mix in some screens, misdirection plays, and short passes; with a splash of unpredictability and a dash of creativity, that's all you need to succeed with a power running offense. As great as LF7 is, imagine how much greater he'd be if he wasn't always running against 10 man fronts. One of the most important parts of a coach's job is to put his players in the best possible position to succeed and sadly, Les hasn't been willing or able to do that for the last several years.

4. fanatic

You may very well be right that a new coach will not have the success that Les enjoyed early in his career. And you may be right that it could very well take a while before we find that coach. But that doesn't mean it wasn't time for a change and it doesn't mean that we have to be scared to make said change. We don't know what's going to happen in the future, but we damn sure know what would happen if Miles remained coach.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

LSU will be just fine

fanatic likes this.
  6. fanatic

I agree. The biggest thing we have going for us is LA has some of the top high school talent in the nation and there's no other major in state schools to compete with. I know it's cliché, but 'build a fence' around the state to lock in top prospects, maintain strong ties in Tx; particularly the HOU area, and @shane0911 is right. LSU will be just fine.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well, there is still the little bastard to the east that seems to have a pipeline into some of that talent. Maybe the right coach can slow down the flow.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Taint is the only one to like the original post of Mrs. Miles.

Frogleg and GregLSU like this.
  9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Would you hit it?

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

If you can affect the quarterback in Petrino's (or Brohm's) offense that scheme falls apart.

That's one of the things that intrigued me when Petrino was at Arkansas. LSU had better defensive lines than Bama but had a hard time with his offense. Think back to the 2011 game. What did your D give up? I know it was under 20...19? 17? Something like that. It was the one year you guys were in that QB's head.

On the other hand, LSU should have mopped the floor with that 2008 or 2009 team...