Alright, time to put up or shut up

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by beatbama, Sep 28, 2016.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take him if the other's didn't pan out.

GregLSU likes this.
  2. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

O is getting his shot. Again, that was one of the key advantages to firing our coach early in the season. O is very intriguing as it seems like we could go 7-5 every year and being partying Mardi Gras style-all year about it here in South Louisiana because it's a local guy, it's his dream job, the South Louisiana press loves him, everyone in South Louisiana seems to love him.
    Might not be so bad. To be honest, you see a lot of people complaining about the good ole days before we had legendary coaches like Saban and Les. Our fanbase doesn't seem as fun at the spoiled rich level they had us at, seems like we attract too many non-South Louisiana trolls, haters, etc that don't understand having fun, drinking, being positive, enjoying life and Laissez les bon temps roulez

3. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

P&G_wheelz007 and GregLSU like this.
  4. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

oh yeah, had we fired Les last year (when we went into Jimbo-or-bust mode) this would have been our competition:
    http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes.html

Included in those coaching changes were:

NOTABLE NEW SEC COACHING HIRES JUST BEGINNING THEIR 1ST SEASON
    Georgia - Kirby Smart (lol!)
    South Carolina - Will Muschamp (lol!)
    Missouri - Barry Odom (lol!)

OTHER NOTABLES
    Southern Cal - Clay Helton (lol!)
    Baylor - Jim Grobe (interim)
    Virginia Tech - Justin Fuente (i was intrigued)
    Miami - Mark Richt (pretty damn solid)

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

No thanks on Richt.

6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

There is a 4th possibility that should be recognized, Alleva could make a FUBAR of this coaching search. I hope this doesn't turn into miles/Michigan fiasco.

I just don't see how it keeps quiet when you are in negotiations with the agent and that is going to put the prospective coach in a tough position with his team as Miles was put in with Michigan.
    Maybe they can negotiate with 3 coaches at once and keep the media chasing. LOL!

7. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Brown had brought the program down since the 2009 NC against Bama. Recruiting was poor and the team was poor. That is why he was fired. We want to avoid that decline in recruiting and such at LSU, so they didn't let Miles hang around lIke Brown did at UT.

In defense of Strong he didn't have a lot to work with. The team was bad and Strong kicked the bad apples no matter who they were off the team. He pretty much cleaned house in the team.

Now I think he should be a little better now but we will see. I think it has taken a while for things to gel and get the fans and team behind him. I think he is a good coach though and did well at Louisville.

8. Cajinkid

Cajinkid Veteran Member

To me , that was my biggest problem with Miles . How can he be getting these top recruiting classes , but yet our team looks average week after week against teams who don't have as near as much talent we had . There is no way we should be losing to Arkansas every year . No reason we should have lost to Auburn or Wisconsin this year .

P&G_wheelz007 and lsu-i-like like this.
  9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

You're cherry-picking the data. Let's take a look at the whole picture:

Mack Brown Overall Record followed by Conference Record:

2010: 5-7 (2-6)
    2011: 8-5 (5-4)
    2012: 9-4 (5-4)
    2013: 8-5 (7-2)

In total, this puts his record at 30-21 with a conference record of 19-16.

Charlie Strong Overall Record followed by Conference Record:

2014: 6-7 (5-4)
    2015: 5-7 (4-5)
    2016: 2-1 (0-0)

In total, this puts Strong's record at 14-15 with a conference record of 9-9. Given the talent that Mack Brown had during the 2010-2013 period, which was pointed out already, they are not doing worse with Charlie Strong. He was left with less talent, and he defeated a top-10 team out of the gate this year. You're also looking at a much smaller sample size.

fanatic likes this.
  10. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

First, Strong did not get his ass handed to him by Cal; he lost by 7 points. Second, your percentages only reflect Brown's overall record, which is skewed. No one is arguing that Mack Brown wasn't a good coach in his prime. We are arguing that he wasn't good enough towards the end. Citing his overall record is a straw man argument. His winning percentage after he lost the 2009 NC was 59%. That doesn't cut it at UT. And if we're going to compare him to Strong, you've got to take the talent discrepancies into account.

fanatic likes this.