Am I the only one that dislikes the SEC-CBS TV deal?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Aug 2, 2006.

1. DocBrooks

DocBrooks Founding Member

Am I the only one that dislikes the SEC's deal with CBS? They only nationally televise one game! The rest gets stuck on some regional (if you're lucky) channel like JP, or if you're really lucky ESPN(U,2, etc..) but ESPN doesn't pick up that many SEC games. Outside of the southeast it isn't that easy to catch SEC games unless they're playing an OOC game. They need to negotiate a primetime evening game in addition to the current day game, and renegotiate with ESPN(U) for a guaranteed number of nationally televised games. Other conferences are getting a lot more exposure nationally, in my opinion. I think you have to live outside of an SEC state to truely realize that SEC games aren't getting as much national exposure as other conferences. I'm in Big East land and it's still easier to catch a PAC10, BIG12, BIG10, and of course ACC national game than an SEC game. Any chance there will be a change in the current TV deal or a serious renegotiation when the contract is up? I think it hurts our teams.

2. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Typically CBS shows a doubleheader of SEC games each Saturday. Then, if the game is marquee, ESPN shows more at night. No complaints here, I live in California and I see 7-8 LSU games per year without having to leave my living room. For me, having it on CBS is 10,000,000,000x better than having ABC own the rights to SEC. For fans of Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12 and ACC teams, if you don't live in your team's region, tough sh**. CBS broadcasts the glorious SEC to the whole nation for which I am forever grateful.

Plus, Verne Lundquist is superb.

3. clair

clair Rockets

everything about your post was great except that... lol

4. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Verne Lundquist is old** is what he really meant

5. DocBrooks

DocBrooks Founding Member

Well, after some lengthy research (no thanks to ESPN or the cable co.) I've figured out that the GameDay package will likely allow me to see maybe every LSU game (they pick up JP Sports and LF Financial games), they also will get Tigervision (if it comes to that), and other SEC stuff that isn't CBS nattional or ESPN. So I'm at least happy about that. It should work well for those of us that don't reside in states within the SEC empire (no silly local blackout to ever worry about). This is HUGE in the northeast where your local CBS or ABC affiliate has been known to pre-empt the likes of UGA-FL or Texas-OU with such instant classic barn burners with national significance such as Temple-Syracuse or Rutgers-UConn (I'm totally serious, this happens ALL the time :angryfire).

6. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I like Verne, what can I say.

I also forgot to mention that the exclusive CBS contract means more money for the SEC. A lot more money. If you ask me, only Notre Dame fans have it better in regard of coverage than fans of top-tier SEC schools.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I like the way the SEC has their contracts set up, it's much better than all other conferences IMO.

:confused:

I don't believe this is true unless I've been missing a game most Saturdays.

8. tigerkid11

tigerkid11 Freshman

The only thing i dont like about CBS is the ungodly amount of TV time outs they take... which might be way they dont have many doubleheader... am i the only who notices this

9. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

Not true at all. They ususally only have two doubleheader/season. Their first weekend of telecasts(3rd week of the season because of US Open tennis coverage) which usually includes UF/UT at night & another marquee game. Then usually late in the season when the UF/FSU game is in Gainesville, they have another doubleheader.

Espn's primetime game(6:45 CST) probably shows an SEC matchup 75% of the time, not just when an SEC team is taking on a strong OOC opponet. The SEC has the best TV package of any conference & that's why we bring home more money than any other conference every single year.

Per DocBrooks: "and of course ACC national game"

Sorry, but the ACC doesn't have a national game. The ACC's deal with ABC is for regional coverage split with the Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, & Pac 10.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The SEC is the only conference to have an exclusive tv contract with a network (CBS) that will nationally broadcast a game each and every Saturday. They also broadcast a doubleheader twice a season. The SEC also gets the ESPN primetime game more than any other conference.

The only part of the package I hate is the starting time of the JP game.

For the first time ever, a network (ABC) will show a primetime game each Saturday night. I suspect CBS will keep a close eye on the ratings to see if college football can compete with traditional Saturday night programming. Hopefully it goes well and CBS will go that route next year.