am I the only one who likes the new bcs formula?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jul 15, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

To prove my point as to the unlikelihood the computers would make much of a difference should the AP and Coaches agree on who is #1 and #2, I have come up with a very simple example.

In this example, USC, OU and LSU all go undefeated. Let's also say USC, OU and LSU were preseason #1, #2, and #3, respectively. Since none of the teams lost in the regular season and due to the fact that neither the AP or Coaches polls ever drop a team in the polls if they continue to win, they remain at these same positions in the polls the entire year.

Now let's say the computers, being so damn smart, deem that LSU is #1 in the nation, with OU being #2, and USC's high school schedule causing them to drop to #3.

Here are the results:

..............AP.............Coaches.................Computers......................Total
    1. USC 1,625 (1.000) 1,575 (1.000).....23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23 (.920)......973
    2. OU...1,560 (.960) 1,512 (.960)........24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24 (.960)......960
    3. LSU...1,495 (.920) 1,449 (.920)......25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25 (1.000).....947

Alternatively, if OU and USC received each about the same amount of votes for first place in the 2 polls, this would WIDEN the distance between LSU and the #2 team in the BCS standings.

Yeah, it sounds great that it's evenly divided 1/3 each to achieve the final result. But what happens in this case is that the AP and Coaches "band together" to become a 2/3 force versus the 1/3 score for the computer. As we all know in life, it ain't fair when 2 gang up on 1. But this is what we will potentially face in the upcoming college football season.

It truly IS in control of the media and coaches.

If you think about it, the BCS formula from last year gave LESS than half of the final score to the AP and Coaches poll combined. It was made up of a composite score from the AP/Coaches poll, plus a composite average of all the computer polls (subtracting out the worst poll). So if you take only that part of the equation, it was a 50/50 split. But then you factored in SOS, QW and losses, and the AP/Coaches poll had much less than half of a team's final BCS score.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Yep, I don't think there is any doubt that the BCS wanted to have the computers come into play only when the other 2 polls disagreed on a top to, not the top 2. As in when 3 teams were again in the mix. If the top two are the same 2 teams they just want to have those 2 teams play each other without the comptuer changing anything.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No response. I just hit "Quote Reply" so I could read it without scrolling left-right, left-right...

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you need to change your monitor settings to something post 1980.

5. islstl

Yeah what's up SabanFan, you not feeding the hamster enuf?

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Makes my head hurt. :(

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Exactly. The subjectivity is back. BCS is dead.

This new system effectively eliminates the objective criteria for selecting the teams to play in the NC game.

The sports journalists want to pick the teams to play in the NC game, and they don't want objective criteria such as SoS to get in their way.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do you really believe that the coaches and writers are going to take all those factors into consideration and make a fair judgement of the teams relative stengths? What planet are you from?

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

You and the sports writers like it.

That's all.

MARK MY WORDS:

THIS NEW BCS FORMULA WILL BE AN UTTER FAILURE.

10. islstl

Thank you.