American Millenials....not so much

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscvball, Mar 16, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So what? Actually my generation's kids are mostly grown and have kids of their own. This is not a new thing, but it seems to be snowballing. There were stage mothers and overprotective baseball dads in my day, too. Just not so many.

LSUMASTERMIND and Bengal B like this.
  2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Right but it starts at the top. Parental guidance is the key here.

I dont think it has anything to do with being overprotective, rather the lack of knowledge passed down.

Parents worked hard so their kids "would have a better life". AKA, so their kids wouldn't have to work as hard.

I also believe too many parents put faith in public schooling. Parents SHOULD have a more active role in their kids education.

3. red55

Little of both, I'd say.

I agree. My parents told me that many times. And I did not have to chop cotton all summer, make my own toys, or drop out out school to help the family make ends meet like dear old dad. But they instilled a very strong work ethic, and would not allow me to be lazy, self-indulgent, or apathetic. If I had not wanted to get out of the house and pursue my interests, they would have made me get out of the house and pursue something.

Amen brother Pride. Can I get a witness? My folks bought a set of World Book Encyclopedias when I was 6. It was the Internet of my life and a window on the world. I had read it from A to Z by the time I was 12. But I couldn't carry it around in my pocket and live my life through it, thank goodness.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

But these millenials sure can facebook with the best of them.

Try to out-instagram them. Not happening, bro.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

world book encyclopedias were the most awesome thing i ever forgot about. we were too poor to buy them but someone suckered us in to buying some shitty funk and wagnalls which was like getting a pinto instead of a bmw. I wanted to steal some from the library.

but you're right. it was like internet except with a lot more effort and imagination.

StaceyO and uscvball like this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

We had Encyclopedia Britannica. I saved the entire set for my kids. My daughter took a look one day and was like.....really? *sigh*

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

those were like 2nd best i think.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do they even still print encyclopedias anymore?

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I had compton's encyclopedia. It was easier to read as a kid than brittanica. It's amazing how much the flow of information has changed. But I agree that the work ethic issue is the biggest one. I really try to balance giving my kids every opportunity and keeping them hungry at the same time. It's not easy.

10. red55

They bought them from a door-to-door salesman, remember those? Clever sonofabitch. He handed me one while he was talking to my parents and when they saw me pouring through it, they were sold. Expensive as hell, but they paid for it in installments over a year.

I remember the Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia. They sold them in grocery stores for like $8.95 a volume and the idea was that you could buy one each week with your groceries. Hell of a good deal. Lots of people had them.