American Millenials....not so much

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscvball, Mar 16, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good for you. My mom was a teacher and did the same thing. I entered first grade with 4th grade reading level and it gave me an advantage that I never lost. I loved reading and became a bookworm.

Conversely, My dad had been bad at math and he was determined that I would not be. Every night after dinner I had to do flash cards with math problems on them. It made me hate math which took several years to overcome.

COTiger and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

My wife sucks at math... had to take College Algebra three times. Math has always been extremely easy for me, which is why I have never been adapt at teaching it. I can't really comprehend why students do not get it. This is why I teach social studies and English.

I fall into the overlap between Gen-X and Millennial. Most people I know that are my age are relatively computer illiterate other than social networking. I did not get into computers until after high school when I was working to save money for college. Thankfully, I had no time to do anything other than work, eat, get online, and sleep, because I met my wife on AOL (though we didn't "hook up" on there, but we talked enough that we wanted to meet when I moved to Lafayette). In college, the lack of funds forced me to research and learn how to build my own computer from cheap or used components. As a teacher, my classroom is very computer and tech active. The kids use learning station computers, tablets, and cell phone apps to interact with course material and each other. Still, I had to set up all of the printers on my hallway because the teachers (ages 22 through 60) couldn't figure it out and most of their computers are just paperweights.

The big change that needs to be made is that we need intensive technology education starting in pre-K. My daughter started pre-K this year. She is in gifted, so they are covering more advanced concepts, often times using classroom PCs, but she isn't being taught about the tech that she is actually using. Kids get to my class in 7th grade having never used anything beyond a web browser, PowerPoint, and Word. They take BSAT in 8th or 9th grade, which again, only really covers office apps. Computer literacy is a throwaway joke of a class.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Not surprising considering the overwhelming liberal view that everyone is owed a free ride. They no longer even keep score in most adolescent sports. Just show up and be a winner is the new battle cry of the far left. Why try and put forth any effort when if you fail it's someone else's fault. Liberalism is going to be the death of the greatest country in the history of the world.

Bengal B likes this.
  4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Arithmetic I could handle. Anything beyond that was see ya.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's funny. Can you tell me if it's going to rain today, Im wearing my white Pumas, don't want to get em dirty. Figured you'd know since your head is in the clouds.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

As opposed to being in the smoke? :p