Military American Sniper

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tigerchick46, Jan 20, 2015.

1. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I have to say, after reading the book and following Chris Kyle, his family and the legacy he left behind I was anxious to see the movie which I did on opening day and I have to say I was worried it would disappoint but it didn't. It reaffirms what I thought of him, a true American Hero. One of many who's stories should be told. Anyone else see it, thoughts?

LSUTiga and LSUDad like this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

My thoughts are a little bit different. My opinion is that Kyle, as operatives of his type can, take targets out without approval or permission and he may have added to his numbers for no reason other than that. That doesn't ring the hero bell for me. He did some great work, saved some lives, and yet perhaps cost some lives. Crazy islamists and all their relatives aren't interested in necessarily getting revenge against the exact perpetrator but against anyone who might align with them/him. It takes a rare breed to be a sniper and a real talent, not everyone can be that effective with a weapon. For me, he lies somewhere a little less than a hero but certainly a patriot.

I still firmly believe that these stories about our special forces are doing more harm than good despite the public's desire to find out about it. Making them all into heroes is dangerous.

I still dig Clint Eastwood though....one of the best directors of my lifetime.

red55 likes this.
  3. tigerchick46

From everything I've read his numbers may have actually been underestimated......Don't agree with everything you said, but I respect it.

Eastwood has made some darn fine films.....

LSUDad likes this.
  4. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Well, then I would have to ask you to show me a perfect hero. Heroes don't define themselves, you'd have to ask the guys he overwatched. I bet they'd have a different take. I find it hard to believe he killed just to pad numbers. Things happen in combat. Looking through an optic at someone who has no idea you're there, a lot goes through the mind before deciding to pull the trigger. It's not as easy as you think, and it's even worse when kids are involved. Those things stick and they never, ever go away.

And you can't put his actions potentially causing the deaths of others on his head. The same can be said about anyone that's ever pulled the trigger.

LSUDad, tigerchick46 and Tiger Exile like this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I couldn't do it. He died trying to help returned soldiers with PTSD. It's pretty sad.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Who said anything about perfect? I don't believe in that concept for anything, much less something as nebulous as "hero". I didn't say he defined himself as a hero. He did refer to himself as "The Most Lethal Sniper in US Military History". That is my issue with him in a nutshell. First of all, I don't believe it's true. He knew it wouldn't be proven nor disproven by anyone else. It certainly appears to be a brag. Is that a good thing? I don't know. You may find it hard to believe he killed for something other than absolute necessity. But again, guys like him don't and didn't ask for permission to eliminate targets. They make those decisions on their own.

I don't know what I have ever said that would give you the impression that I think killing people is easy. In fact, I have said just the opposite and it's one reason why I don't think the public needs to know this stuff, particularly when it's presented as "heroic" or "badass" or whatever else has been used to describe groups like DEVGRU and Delta. It does those veterans a gross disservice. They come home and people want to see them a certain way but it's not the way they see themselves. What do you think goes through an operative's mind when they are searching a home, have trusted the intel that says nobody is there, and they are surprised by a young harmless, unarmed female who is, indeed home? Leave no trace. Period. No time for thought process....until after. Trust this....I am very well aware that killing like that doesn't go away.

Sure I can. Other operatives have said as much. And no, I don't have a link.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Tiger in NC and StaceyO like this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Neither could I. His death is sad, yes. I feel for his family, mostly his children.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

He could just be beating his chest in a statement like that. If it is me, I want the world to know I am king kong and will behave as such. Like that, self defined means more about how you carry yourself rather than self promoting. That is how I take it anyways.

9. tigerchick46

He actually refers to another guy a few times in his book, I forget his name, who he considers to be the greatest sniper in U.S. history......he constantly deflects attention from himself and gives it to others in his book as well.

watson1880 and LSUDad like this.
  10. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

This is absurd. I don't know the people you're talking to, but that's not the professionals I've worked with.

watson1880 likes this.