Military American Sniper

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tigerchick46, Jan 20, 2015.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Rolling Stone I presume? I had no idea what you were referring to until I looked around. It may not sit well with you but I honestly believe that some of those who were educated in ivory towers and make a living on their prose, have a tendency to look down on people who hump out a living in the military. It's almost palpable at times, the way some in the media look down their nose at those who serve. The South still gives more of their sons and daughters to the cause than any place else. Good people, family people....make Yankees look like little bitches.

mctiger, gyver and Bengal B like this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's the article. I have a lot of respect for Matt Taibi, he is a good journalist, and I do agree that the whole part about Al Queda not being in Iraq until we showed up was kind of brushed over, but again it's a Hollywood movie, and I don't think this man, who was flawed like all of us are, should be raked over the coals for a movie he had no part in making.

3. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Journalist and Rolling Stone are really hard to use in the same sentence. They were all over that UVA rape investigative story, err "story". Caused a lot of grief for a bunch of people.

mctiger, mancha and Bengal B like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And they made the Boston Bomber look like a young Jim Morrison on the cover

watson1880 and StaceyO like this.
  5. LaSalleAve

Taibi is generally very informative.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

100% concur

When Iraq broke out my wife could see it in my eyes. She said "you want to go don't you" I said yeah I do. I said this is what we have trained all our lives for. It would be like a swimmer and the Olympics come and he/she doesn't get to play.

StaceyO, alfredeneuman and Winston1 like this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This was par for Taibi. He has taken this kind of approach before....52 Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope, Andrew Breitbart, Death of a Douche. He has a reputation for having a temper and lashing out. He is exactly the type of ivory tower asshole that I mentioned. He was a prep school brat and a private liberal arts college grad. He traveled all over and did so on his daddy's dime. Of course he now wants to "take aim" at a person who had no such opportunities but achieved the status of Navy SEAL, something Taibi wouldn't last a day in training for.

8. LaSalleAve

Yeah I've got no problem with him calling Breitbart a douche.

9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I understand what both of you are saying. My unit went on alert several times during Desert Shield / Storm, going so far as to process through only to stand down. Our planes were F-15s built in 1972 and with as much air power that was volunteered by a ton of allies looking for combat experience, it was felt that the desert wasn't the best place for the older jets. Back then the Air Base Ground Defense units generally stuck with their planes. Not the case later and my old unit deployed to Kuwait and Iraq.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

The only issue I have is IN MY EXPERIENCE, the more folks do, the less they talk. Chris talked a lot. Maybe it is the social media age, but....well I can't talk about it.

StaceyO, red55, tirk and 1 other person like this.