America's Best Steakhouses

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUDad, Nov 3, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

The most overlooked steakhouse I've ever been to is Stack at the Mirage in Vegas. It never gets any love but I go every single time I'm in Vegas. There are 5 Vegas steakhouses on that list, 2 of which I've been to, and they don't hold a candle to Stack.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I went to a Pappas Bar B Q in Houston once and it was good. There used to be a steak house on Government Street in Baton Rouge called Chicago that was very good. They are no longer there and in the building there is a Doe's Eat Place that I've heard both good and bad about but have never eaten there.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Doe's makes a good steak. Nobody makes a steak like they did at the Blue Room in the old Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans. It came with a butter-sauteed mushroom steak that was as big as the beefsteak itself.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

From the list, I've eaten at Chamberlain's in Dallas a couple of times. A few years ago, I taught a boy whose mother was the director of publicity for Chamberlain's, and they gave me a $100 gift certificate for Christmas both years I taught him (best teacher gift ever, by the way.) It's really good.

I ate at Gibson's in Chicago back in '12. Actually, at Hugo's Frog Bar, which shares a kitchen with Gibson's, but is more casual. The steak was incredible, but the best thing there were the sauteed frog legs. I felt like I was in Louisiana or something. The waitress acted like they were an odd food and wondered if I really wanted to try them. Um...yes.

I've never been to Pappa's Steakhouse because, usually, if I'm going to splurge on an expensive steak dinner up here, I'm going to Randy's Steakhouse in Frisco. Randy was once the head chef at Del Frisco's in Dallas, and he has a great, cozy restaurant in an old house on Main Street.

However, I've been to Pappasito's and Pappadeaux many times.

Bengal B likes this.