An All-Louisiana National Championship??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Irunthis, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Irunthis

Irunthis Freshman

I havn't been a consistent follower of women’s basketball however, I find it intriguingly interesting that two Louisiana powerhouses are favorably positioned for success. Both (19)Louisiana State and (5)Louisiana Tech are exceptionally talented teams with solid leadership and prolific scorers. The irony doesn’t end there though...The national championship game will be played in New Orleans...ooohh spooky!!

I'd watch!

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Last year (or the year before) they had to travel all the way to California to play for a game.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The women's selection committee has always seeded LA Tech much lower than they should have been because of their conference and they liked to put them in the same bracket with LSU. I hadn't looked at the womens brackets this year and am surprised they didn't place us in the same bracket again but I guess there biggest concern this year was making sure all of the SEC teams would have to play each other if we advanced past the sweet 16. That would really be something if both teams could meet in the final four.

4. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Sorry to burst you bubble but Tech lost to Texas Tech in the 2nd round. It kinda sucked because both teams are really good. That game should have at least happened in the sweet 16 or elite 8.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Uhhhhm, no they didn't man. Louisiana Tech beat Texas Tech 81-64 and are now preparing to play Duke in the Sweet 16.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=244000006

Now, could this be the year LSU finally makes it to a Women's Final Four? I know we have just as good a chance as any team out there; this year women's b-ball is the most level playing field the sport has seen in a long time. Of course, the traditional superpowers Tennessee and UConn will have their say, but it's no longer a bi-polar sport. Anybody could win it all this year, and that's no lie. Including the Lady Tigers. I just want to see more toughness from this team. It seemed like everytime we played a good opponent this year, we either blew them out or got blown out. If the victory didn't come easy, we just gave up. That's not a good trait to have if you want to be competitive for a title.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Another thing that hurts LaTech is that Leon Barmoore was hated because he was a man dominating a women's sport. Tech's new coach is also a man and a Barmore protege. They get stiffed regularly by the selections committe because of this.

7. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Doesn't UConn have a male coach?

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

What hurts LaTech the most is their location.

9. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

My bad. I got my facts wrong. I look real stupid now :cry:

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Yes. Geno Auriemma. And Geno Auriemma is just as viciously hated by the radical Femi-nazis that run NCAA women's basketball as Leon Barmore was and every male coach in the sport is. But Geno has built such an incredible juggernaut at UConn that they could not get away with screwing him without being called on it. Since La. Tech is a smaller school, in the interior of the country, and plays in a weaker conference and usually is susceptible to a low RPI however, they can shaft La. Tech without too much outcry.

They can even get away with shafting male coaches from the power conferences; I can remember years past when the Selection Committee low-balled Georgia when they had very good teams. Georgia's head coach, Andy Landers, is a man. Coincidence? Whatever.

But UConn is just too powerful to dismiss so easily. It also doesn't hurt that they are on the East Coast and have ESPN and the entire Northeast-based mass media machine in their corner. But the bias for female coaches is there. That's what prompted Geno to talk bad about Pat Summitt and Tennessee a few years back, even going so far as to call Tennessee "the Evil Empire" of women's college basketball.