An Arrogant Horn's Opinion

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by nt, Dec 10, 2002.

1. nt

nt Freshman

I noticed from this board and hornfans.com that tiger fans feel slighted from the the longhorns' reaction to playing LSU in the Cotton Bowl. I won't address whether LSU is worthy or whether your indignation is justified. I will try give my opinion as to why I was extremely disappointed about LSU's selection for the Cotton Bow.

The fact is UT is a Top 10 Team. LSU, on the other hand, is either unranked (AP) or 25th (USA Today). For UT to move up in the rankings we need to play another Top 10 team (or at least some team ranked near the Top 10, which let's face it you guys aren't). That's why most of us wanted Notre Dame....we need to beat someone ranked significantly higher than you guys. Beating LSU doesn't help us one bit

Finally, most of the Big 12 fans (not just UT fans) are unhappy with the Cotton Bowl contract. It seems to us the Big 12 usually sends a highly ranked team to the Cotton Bowl. Who does the SEC send? Usually some lowly ranked team.

So call us arrogant if you want. It might even be true, because WE'RE TEXAS! after all. And good luck, because you're going to need it!

2. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

nt,

There are about 4 teams in the big 12 that can compete in the SEC and win championships; whereas, there are about 4 teams in the SEC who can not compete in the Big 12 and win championships. The gap is closing.

If the NCAA has it's way with Jr. College transfers, which are ineligable at UT, it will hurt some of the Big 12 programs. UT may win a Big 12 Championship under Brown.

3. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

:mad:
    nt:
    We have NO reason to be arrogant! We lost that chance when we got beat by OU (again) and by unranked Tech.

4. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

5. Blame the contract for the highly ranked big 12 vs lower ranked SEC every year. I believe it fits the #2 Big 12 vs the # 3 or 4 SEC. Don't be thinking you have a cake walk here though, you will be favored but the game is yet to be played.

6. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

Don't get so mad Horn fan's....the Cotton Bowl knows your top 10
    rank holds about as much value as a 3 dollar bill. All of this crap from the most over-rated of all time program's in the history of collage football. I mean come on, you guy's are always one of the
    top 3 teams at the start of the year but alway's end up like this.
    You just might want to thank the big 12 for the cotton bowl tie in,
    or your team would never know what it's like to play on New Year's day.:D

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

"So call us arrogant if you want. It might even be true, because WE'RE TEXAS! after all. And good luck, because you're going to need it!:"

And you wonder why most people dont like Texas.....

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

BTW, since the SEC tie-in has been in effect, the SEC's record is 1-2 vs. the higher-ranked Big XII teams. The one loss for the Big XII was by, you guessed it, Texas to a much lower ranked Arkansas.

9. Hookem

Hookem Freshman

You know every school has those "fans" that just make you cringe! Well you guys just met one of ours

10. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

nt, a few questions about your analysis --

What significance in the grand scheme of things does moving up a few notches in the final polls have? Will it help UT win a championship this year? Somehow, I don't think that is possible. Next year? Does moving up a few places aid recruiting? Does it help Mack to tell recruits "we finished #6" rather than saying "we finished #8"? Does it somehow give the returning players more confidence going into next year than only moving up 1 spot or so by beating a lower ranked team? What if UT lost to a higher ranked team; wouldn't it be better to finish the year with a win, albeit over a lower ranked team?

Please help enlighten us.