An article on the Beavers' DB's

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Aug 23, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview04/columns/story?id=1865600

The article just may piss off some Tigah fans as the writer says this could be the best group in the nation. They do have very good size back there. I really think that with us establishing a rushing attack they are going to be hardpressed to shut down our WR's.

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

3. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

He's talking about the Pac10, not in the NCAA. They're a good group, but Cal didn't have anyone to run the ball so the OSU defense didn't have to worry much about the run. There's no way he's saying they are better than our DB's or Oklahoma's or Miami's.

4. trubeav

trubeav Freshman

Ha Ha Ha

I think he was actually trying to say that no member of LSU's secondary could even start for the Beavers! We are that good! Best secondary in the best passing conference equals best secondary in the nation!

You guys seem obsessed with every single person on your team being the best player ever, in the entire country, at each position. Dennis Erickson and Mike Riley both coached in the NFL, Erickson won national championships at Miami, Riley was offered the job at Alabama and played for Bear Bryant . . . You don't think that maybe, just maybe, these guys too, might know a little about football and be able to recruit and coach some good players? By the way, we play good wide recievers all the time out here in the west, and we are in man to man coverage a good deal of the time.

(I'll also skip ahead to some standard coach criticism about how poorly both of our coaches did while in the NFL . . . Yes they had some troubles in the NFL, but so did a certain SEC god who likes to wear a visor).

We'll see how good your DB's are when we play them, I've heard a lot about them, but never seen them play. And I am sure you have never seen our DB's play, or only in one game, and so you to will see how good we are when we play your number 1, 2 and 3 in the country Wide Recievers.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I read the article and thought these guys must be pretty darn good, but, I think the above statement is stretching it just a bit. How many points did USC score on these guys? What was your record? They might be good but, don't delude yourself. We've got one guy that would be starting on a NFL team this year if he wanted to.

Winning a national championship will do that to you. :thumb:

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Im not going to tell you that we have the best at every position, but we damn sure do have the best secondary in the nation. They are the reason we had the #1 defense statistically, last season. I would also put our Oline up against anyone in the nation, but those are the only two units I would bank on. Very few teams are in our league when it comes to DBs and OL. OSU has a good secondary, I know, and I have seen them play in more than one game.

7. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

Oh Please....

Nick Saban was the defensive co-ordinator for the Browns when they had one of the top defenses in the NFL. He played DB when he played football, and he PERSONALLY coaches the DB's at LSU now.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

He didn't say Saban wasn't a good or great coach, he is just trying to point out that OSU's coaches know what they are doing and I'll agree with that. We'll have to wait and see if your guys are as good or better than ours but I know there are a lot of Tiger fans that would put some dough down on that bet.

And I don't think he was referring to the PAC 10 when he said there secondary may be second to none.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

10. smellybeaver

smellybeaver Freshman

Comparing Pac-10 to SEC Passing

OH my gosh, did any of you Tiger fans realize WHO is throwing for you. HAHHAHA, oh it's too funny. You were actually trying to compare 3rd Preseason Heisman favorite Matt Leinhart (who LED his team to a share in the championship) to horribly AWFUL Marcus Randall. What'd that guy do for you except screw things up when Mauck was out? Good thing your D is perfect, because there is no way your offense is going to build a "drive"