An early breakdown of LSU-AU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cadillacattack, Sep 6, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think if it is a low-scoring, tight defensive battle, Auburn wins, say 14-10.

But if it is a wide-open, high-scoring affair LSU pulls away, say 38-24.

These two teams are evenly matches as usual and Auburn should win this game at their place. That is what history should indicate. But I feel very good about the Tigers this year. The home and home streak will be broken at some point.

2. zinc 83

zinc 83 Founding Member

Hey, Yosemite Sam! Can I get you a quality saddle for that fence you're riding. That barbed wire has gotta be hell on the nads. Your second sentence is indicative of a likely outcome, although I don't know how Auburn will score 24 on LSU's defense with the state of their OL, especially their weaknesses at the Tackle position. AU is seriously overrated this year. They are going down next week after the Arizona scrimmage this Saturday Night.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Good analysis Caddy.
    I think you are right on most of it.

Our Punt returning was horrid, 2 muffed punts and this could turn the tide of the game with just one of these screw ups. Advantage goes to Auburn.

I'm worried about the O-line, advantage Auburn. They weren't very stellar in the 1st half and weren't creating many holes for Vincent and that was ULL. To be honest I think the war will be won depending on who plays best at the line of scrimmage.

I believe Russell and our WR's will not be the issue for us, it will be predominately the O-line that is an issue for LSU, which in turn makes the Running game an issue. If the Auburn D-line proves to be too much for LSU's O-line, then it is lights out Auburn.

In turn if LSU's O-line opens up some running lanes and keeps JR on his feet, LSU will win. I think the defense will be really focusing on Irons and shutting him down, so Auburn will be able to get some yards on passing.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ramah! You're back . . .

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

thanks, JP4LSU ..... good comments. As I give this matchup more thought, I believe you've touched on the overall key......
    Whichever D-line steps up and forces their will on the opposing OL could be the driving force that shapes the game outcome. Both units are still relatively new, so this week should tell us a lot. 'Zona and MSU both have decent D-fronts, so it will bear watching, I think.

It appears that most everyone here believes Irons to be AU's key, but for those of you that have been reading my posts in the offseason, you know that I believe that Lester is the real threat in AU's backfield. As the change-of-pace RB, Lester broke Wazzu's back last weekend, averaging 6.2 YPC and scoring 2 TD's on 7 touches. Also, Lester was the starter in 2005 before the injury that allowed Irons to take over the lead RB position.

[​IMG]

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Or real school or real safe...etc

7. zinc 83

zinc 83 Founding Member

What's the picture with all the "smoke" about, cadillac?

Looks like Tubby and the boys fresh from a bathhouse "smoker".

Are you proud of 'em in all that smoke?

Bet you'd love being in the bath house with 'em as the pivot man, huh.

8. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Missed the final minute and a half of the AU/UGA game last year, huh?

9. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Founding Member

All good comments...thanks for starting the thread CA

My biggest concerns with the real Tigers is at LB (first) and OL (second). My only primary dispute with Cadi's original post is referring to Sanders at MLB as a stud. He might be an animal in the weight room, but I didn't see anything on the field from him against ULaLa. If he's our best option I see it as a weak spot. I'm not concerned about the OL talent, just that there haven't been many starts together as a group.

I watched some of AU last week on ESPN GP. I thought they looked very good. It will be a helluva game, and think it will be close also.

Geaux Tigahs!

10. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

thanks, johnnyt, but i was referring to Highsmith as being a stud ....... but , if you don't care for Sanders, we'll take him off your hands :thumb: