and the economy sucks.....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Biggles, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

Sorry, you took an excellent thread and

degenerated into the jism post.....

Just so typical and pathetic...

309 American dead in Iraq, no chemical weapons, bo biological weapons, no nuclear weapons, no Sadam.....
    (facts)
    but it's all about the jism....

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

While I agree it's tough out there, Supafan, the unemployment rate is not the worst it has been since the Depression. It is only a bit worse than the recession of 1991-94 that cost Bush, Sr. re-election. You have to go back to the days of Jimmy Carter to find the last time the U.S. had double digit unemployment. From what my parents tell me, the economy REALLY SUCKED back then. The first signs of economic recovery are starting to show, but it takes months of resurgence before companies start hiring and expanding again. I remember a TIME Magazine issue in 1996 that said on the cover "Boom for Whom?", and basically complained of the same thing your complaining about: If the economy is recovering, why is unemployment still high? Why aren't people getting jobs? Well, just three years later, the unemployment rate hit it's lowest ever number, 3.9%. Give it some time. You can rest assured the economy will not be down forever. Sooner or later, somebody up on Wall Street is going to see a business oppurtunity and jump on it. Then we'll be off to the races once again.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Re: Sorry, you took an excellent thread and

Thats right no Sadam. He may be alive but he is not in power and his sons are dead. The world (and Iraq) is a better place. It was justified.

I know it was your first attempt so nice try at facts but I thought we were talking about the economy. Can you give us economic facts like the GDP over the past six years using one of your famous pictographs?

"jism"Do not blame me for your boy's indiscretions with an intern. It was such a great image for America.

You use "just so typical and pathetic" a lot. Please can't you be more original. Can you post without putting people down? You have called me a redneck, pathetic, and so on. Again why are you so angry and hateful? I thought liberals were supposed to love everyone!
    By the way the only one of your pictures that I do have a problem with is your picture of Bush picking his nose. Who has not ever picked their nose? I say let thou who is without a pick cast the first booger.

4. dallastigers

You are wrong about the unemployment rate. Like Jetstorm stated it was double digit with Carter along with double digit inflation.

What is your field?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Re: Sorry, you took an excellent thread and

:D :D :D :D :D

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The only reason the unemployment rate was lower in the 70s was because the definitiion of the work force changed. The work force included college students, the chronic homeless, and other able bodied groups who refused to work in the past.

Today the workforce only consists of the willing and able. This causes a lower and more accurate unemployment rate.

When you here that 51% of African Americans in New Orleans are unumplyed that is using the old definition. By todays definition that number is much lower.

My point is comparing the unemployment rate today with what it was in the past is like comparing apples and oranges. Use a standardized definition and you will see unemployment is hire now.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

LSUsupafan you just might be among the world's richest people

You may think your salary is paltry, but compared with most of the world's population, you're up there with Bill Gates.

A new website, the Global Rich List, starkly illustrates the worldwide distribution of wealth.

http://www.mail.lycos.com/frameset....063351660&goto=jumpPage&.rnd=15lhzw7ugv1Jqsx9

You simply plug in your annual income, and the site tells you where you rank among the world's richest people.

For example, individuals in the United States who make less than $9,300 are officially poor, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's definition of poverty. But compared with the rest of the world, their income is in the top 12 percent.

An annual household income of $42,200 -- the U.S. median in 2001 -- is enough to land someone in the world's richest 1 percent, according to the site.

"The idea is to really make people think about how rich they are compared to the rest of the world," said Nicolas Roope, one of the site's creators. "In the West, we tend to obsess about celebrities and the super-rich. This is a really simple way to turn that on its head."

The site was created by Roope and several others from Poke, a London interactive media company.

Roope, 32, Poke's creative director, said the site was launched to coincide with this week's World Trade Organization summit in Cancun, Mexico, where, increasingly, poor countries are pitting themselves against rich. Key issues are cheap generic drugs for developing nations, an end to richer nations' huge farm subsidies, reshuffling of trade tariffs between rich and poor countries, and special economic concessions for developing nations.

The site uses figures from the World Bank's Development Research Group, which estimates that for the world's 6 billion people, average annual income is $5,000.

Roope admitted the calculations don't take into account disparities in the cost of living, taxation and other factors that contribute to income. "It's simplified," he said. "The goal is to make people think."

Roope said he and his colleagues dreamed up the idea for the site last year. They shopped it around to several charities but none was interested without changing it significantly to fit their campaigns. Reluctant to adapt the idea, Poke launched the site on its own. It soon caught the eye of Care International, an international aid agency, which asked to be associated with it. Roope said it turned out to be "the perfect match."

Since going live last Monday, the site has attracted 120,000 unique visitors. It has earned a few brief mentions in the press -- the London Guardian, USA Today -- but most traffic has come from word of mouth,

8. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

Keep repeating the RN mantra...

Sadam has no power, Sadam has no power,Sadam has no power....

300+ Americans dead, 140,000 troops, and the US begging the UN for help....
    (facts)

The unemployed vote.....
    Poppy
    (fact)

Personal attacks? No just proving you wrong again and again....

9. dallastigers

Re: Keep repeating the RN mantra...

Your mind works in mysterious ways. You have never proved me wrong. You quote facts like the sky is blue. Duh! I think you are just not used to somebody actually challenging the fiction like "the Economy sucks" you usually post on this board.

You still yet to say anything about the economy except for the second time " the unemployed vote" Duh! again. Being unemployed does not take away your right to vote. Thanks for the obvious Sherlock. I am sure they also voted when the rate was in the 4's and 5's in the 90's.

Yes we have over 300 dead heroes. According to people like you it was going to be 30,000 by this time. Most thought the major battles would still be going on? How many Kurds are safer now? Even with the bombing at the Mosque have many Shiites are now safer from Sadam. I support the War even though it did and still might include my father being there, and my father does as well. "Begging for help" please have you even seen the resolution.

It is like you find a line that you think is funny and you keep using it over and over again, but it never really answers anything. Except for starting this thread you have added nothing of substance since. Wait I am sorry you did teach me that the unemployed vote, and I am forever in your debt. :D

And yes you do result to calling people pathetic, rednecks, sheep, ... etc I guess that and "angry" pictures are all you have. Thank you for proving that liberals do not have a shot at the 2004 election. :D

I am laughing at your hatred of Bush and wish you continued misery until Jan 2009. Do not let it consume you this much though? I would not want you to have a heart attack and die before Bush wins again.

10. dallastigers

Retail Sales, Wholesale Prices Both Up

Link to story

Before you bash foxnews most of this is just official numbers from the Commerce Dep that can be found elsewhere.