And to think, there were some like DownOnTheBayou

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Tygrr, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

and a few others that were calling for Sean Payton's head a couple of years ago. Thank your lucky stars they aren't running the organization.

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

:popcorn:

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm not going to lie, i was very critical of Payton, i didn't think he would be able to do it, and i was wrong. Thought he would never be anything more than a really good offensive coordinator. I was wrong, very wrong. I also gave him flack about moving up in the draft to take a damn kicker, who pinned indy inside the 5 and also kicked that beautiful onside kick.

I was very wrong.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think he said we should get rid of Payton IF we don't get a suitable DC and we don't learn how to balance the pass with the run.

We did both.

He made valid points, and after last season, Coach Payton certainly appeared well on his way to a career much like Haslett.

Luckily for us, he changed his stripes and swallowed his pride and got some help in the form of Gregg Williams.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I gotta admit...

...Last night, when we had that cutesy end around that didn't work (lost 4 yards) and we went for it on fourth and goal and failed to score...and when we tried the onside kick that seemed to take forever to unravel...

...I told my dad and my brothers that Sean Payton had regressed in his play calling and that he was going to cost us the game.

I could be a bobble head on ESPN with that kind of insight.:rofl:

SaintslogoSaintslogoSaintslogoSaintslogoSaintslogo |lombardi||lombardi||lombardi||lombardi||lombardi| :thumb:.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

CSP just needed some "seasoning", as it were. Fortunately, even when the wins weren't piling up in years 2 and 3, the team was still playing a very entertaining brand of football, and WhoDat Nation kept buying tickets. I'm sure that helped Benson to be patient. It would seem his boy coach is all grown up now.

Saintslogo|lombardi|Saintslogo

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

That's was exactly my stance. He was filling the seats and scoring points and his records weren't all that bad considering what we were used to as Saints fans.

8. islstl

But it was Super Bowl winning offenses being wasted was the problem.

I was disgusted when he didn't fire Gibbs after the 2007 season.

And guess what, Gregg Williams was available. Gregg ended up going to Jacksonville in 2008 for one season.

Not sure if we would be looking at back to back Super Bowls, but we would have stood a chance had he been the DC in 2008.

9. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Gotta give the man time to make changes and he's proven he'll do what it takes.

10. islstl

Yep, it just sucked we wasted 2008.

That 8-8 team had 4 heart wrenching losses, even with a horrible defense. That could have been a special team as well.