Announcers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by scrappy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I've heard people on this board and other boards complaining about the announcers on tv. Well mostly on another board they were complaining about the announcer allegedly being all for kentucky and all that stuff. Basically they were thinkin that they announcers were choosing sides. That brings my question, what is your biggest pet peeve for announcers. I was listening to a game on the radio today, I wont mention and names (lol) but I never heard the score during the inning. I only heard the score after each inning. I cant stand when annoucners dont give the score. Especially on radio. What are some of yoru pet peeves?

2. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

"he's got mad hops."
    If you're not a rapper, please don't say this.

3. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

The guy that called the Duke game the other night.

And Brent Mustyberger is just a peeve.

4. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Musberger has gotten old. The best Tv Guys are Costas and Buck. Cant beat those two guys. But, you just have to give the score. I cant stand driving around and not hearing the score.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I don't like it when they try to give a new nickname to a player. Such as them trying to designate Davis as "Baby Shaq" by saying it repeatedly during a broadcast.

6. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I agree with that one too. Well were having one of ESPN's best basketball announcers Bob Carpenter on the show tom. He's a good guy and a quality announcer for basketball and baseball.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Not getting a score bugs me, too. If I am in and out of the room while listening over the computer I don't get every play.

Not getting names right is also annoying. Once, ok, an announcer is forgiven. But over and over gets on my nerves.

Last, an announcer (or producer) needs to be thorough when checking facts! Thursday night, Enberg kept saying that the game could be Eddie Sutton's last game since he was retiring. When, in fact, Eddie had said (several time) in press conferences the last couple of months that he would be back next year and was not retiring. I guess someone told Sutton that it was announced he was leaving because one of the things he talked about early on in the post-game was that he would be coaching again next year, and that he was NOT retiring. I know that the info came from a Chi Sun sports page article. The reporter for the Sun didn't do his homework and wrote an article mentioning that Sutton was retiring. But you would think that maybe someone would have checked to see if that was true?!? CBS and Enberg issued an apology the next day.

Yeah, the Enberg thing really irritated me!! (Does it show?:grin: )

8. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Enberg is a quality announcer. But, I'm not to kean on the "OH MY" call. I agree on the not pronouncing names right thing.

9. Carface

Carface What the...?

I get incredibly irritated when announcers change their 'opinions' on things just to please whatever's popular. I.e. Lady sings praises to the Lady Vols and how they're unstoppable and that they just shut down Seimone the entire game (though they didn't, by any stretch) and basically just calling LSU overrated.... then two games later this same lady is saying that LSU is the best team in the universe.

What?

10. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Ya. I understand that. Me and my dad were in the car today listening to a particular baseball game on the radio. One in which the home team lost and they lost the series 2 out of 3. Anyway, my dad never gets to experience this announcer as often as many of us do. So I challenged him. I said " I bet you 20 bucks the announcer doesnt give the score this whole inning" I won.