Announcers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by scrappy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. friday

friday Founding Member

homers are the worst in pro/college sports. the hornets announcer gil is one the biggest homers around. when they start using 'we', I'm ready to puke. that old boston celtics analyst who still doing the TV games is the biggest homer around. he's so subjective that whnever a opposing player, say travels, he's the first to yell it out ,but when a celtic player walks, it's a questionable call. I can't stand that crusty fart.

2. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Worst homers on radio are the aggy football broadcasters :dis: ...and they're not very good either. :nope:

I don't like broadcasters who talk all the time and never tell me anything. I like to learn more about the game, whatever the sport. Joe Morgan is great at this, as is Keith Moreland. Harold Reynolds, although not in Morgan's league, is okay, too. :thumb:

3. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I'll say this - I'm not a fan of announcers using "we" when talking about the team they cover or being a big homer. But that being said, many play-by-play announcers are employees of that organization or school, so there is an honus or pressure to be somewhat one-sided. Larry Munson, who is a Hall of Fame broadcaster for the University of Georgia, nearly always refers to UGA as "we" or "us". I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. I'm paid by the booster club of the high school football team I broadcast. I've been criticized for NOT being enough of a homer and for talking too much about how good an opponent was. Another example is when fans would call in to the LSU post-game show and just lambast Gerry DiNardo and then want Kevin Ford to agree with them and comment. Well, Kevin is an employee of the LSU Athletic Dept. and is not going to bad mouth a person he works with over the airwaves.
    There is also a difference between calling HS, college and pro sports. In HS broadcasts there are certain things you don't talk about - like a player being "stupid for making a bonehead play" - because that player's mother or grandma is listening. Same thing with the extent of a player's injury - you mention the injury but you have to remember that someone's family member is listening. You have to learn to talk about the play or situation without singling out an individual. But in college and especially professional there is a lot more leeway.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Oh no doubt about it! I never thought I would yearn for the smooth, accurate announcing and easy listening of Jim Hawthorne :hihi:, but after listening to even a couple of PLAYS of Aggie radio, I start to think I'm in the woods and need to look over my shoulder for Ned Beatty.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

There's a different guy that does the Lady Tigers basketball broadcasts that clearly tries to sound like Hawthorne. It's amusing.

6. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I cant stand announcers that get so down when the team is struggling a bit. They get that "here we go again" type attitude. Jim Hawthorne and Kevin Ford do it often.

7. u r tigerbait22

u r tigerbait22 Founding Member

How is it supposed to be pronounced?[/QUOTE]

hell if i know but it annoys me how every channel and every announcer says it totally different. They need to all agree on it or something. It's horrible. Do you know wut i'm talking about?

8. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

9. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

HAWTHORNE IS GOD! TAKE IT BACK! :mad:

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I like Hawthorne, but that's the one thing that bugs me about him. During the latter part of the baseball season last year, his voice went up 3 octaves every time LSU hit into a double play.