Annual Offseason Class Projection 2014

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSU Logic, Feb 13, 2014.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I think it will be AJ starting, but could see Harris pushing.

Rivers seems to have been lost. Wonder why he never translated. Huge arm that kid has.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Cameron has had a year with Rettig and rumors say that he's looking very good at the Ponderosa. I wouldn't count him out yet. Bolden is the question mark. I've heard practically nothing about him. He can't afford another transfer, so it's now or never with him.

Well, Flynn surprised us in his senior year, anything can happen. But if Harris passes him, I can see Rivers transferring down a division to get some playing time as a senior. Likewise, if Harris passed him quickly, Rettig could transfer to another division I team and still have three years left.

I think a senior reserve is valuable, so I'd hate to lose Rivers. I also think that Rettig has upside that we may need soon. He's our best pro-style passer option, and I'd really hate to lose him, too. A logjam at quarterback is discouraging to the players but it does give LSU vital depth and enough arms for practice. Hopefully Cameron uses all of his QB's cleverly and we don't end up too thin at the position.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yea I forgot about Rettig. I believe both he and Jennings were in the Elite 11.

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I would like to hear more about Rettig's rise. I've heard this rumor about him emerging from a few different sources. I've suspected all along whether Harris would really be able to compete from day one; not because of his skill set but because of what's between the ears.....seems to take most guys at least a year to grasp the speed and mental aspects of the college game.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I didn't think Harris looked that great in the UA game. I expected more.

Certainly genetics are on the side of Rivers and Rettig. Obviously, Rivers older (not bigger, lol) brother is well known, and Rettig's older brother just finished his career as a starter for BC. Wouldn't count either of those guys out yet. I think, in the end, AJ will be the starter, though, and will be his gig to lose. I think he gets it done. If that is the case, I could see transfers, as Red eludes to.

6. LSU Logic

LSU Logic Founding Member

Was it 2008 where we had to play Andrew hatch? I think we were one injury away from having to play without an available scholarship qb. Qb is one position(besides ol and dl) that you really have to over recruit. Bolden may just be happy here, not all guys will be good enough to play, but if they work hard, help with team chemistry and have a good attitude, they can still be a valuable piece on the roster for the team. Some guys are mature enough to know their time may come so they stay ready, but foresee that it's possible it may not happen, and use their time to enjoy being in a high caliber program on a great college campus. Players benefit from a unique perspective and can learn about the operations on the ground floor. Some of the best coaches in college and the pros were average college players.

Competition is healthy, and having two to three capable qbs is ideal. I look forward to a Jennings/Rettig battle while Harris develops. I think Harris is a couple years away, but when the lights turn on, look out

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think AJ McCarron when hearing AJ, so I'm not smitten with that nickname.

"I didn't think Anthony Jennings was all that great in the bowl game vs Iowa. I expected more." Would you be cool with extending that same statement to Jennings?