Another 10 win season...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GregLSU, Jan 1, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That picture reminds me of this guy who couldnt beat Iowa in a bowl game while at LSU (something Les Miles did today) never won a rose bowl while at MichiganState (something Mike Dantonio did today) , lost to Monroe High, and has never beaten UAB.

Winston1, TigerTap and LSUDad like this.
  2. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

We're talking about a very differnt football team in 2004. Iowa had drew tate and they won a prayer. Iowa was 5-4 in it's first 9 games this season. c'mon man I know you know...

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

I'm not sure man kinda reminds of that team. Both 2004 and 2013 were coming off great seasons, started backups, previous season lost a ton of talent to the NFL.

I'm just not sure why LSU has to be flawless and perfect for the Miles haters.

ParadiseiNC and KyleK like this.
  4. BayouBengal014

Getting beat by Georgia and Ole Miss and almost losing to Arkansas who was winless in the SEC. Dude it's just what you see on paper its what we all see on the field. Theres something missing from this team. This goes all the way back to the 2011 BCS title game with what happen to Jared Lee and how Jordan Jefferson walked all over his team mates.

5. BayouBengal014

You're missing the point man. Nick Saban dropped one to UAB in 2000 and followed it up with a win over Tennessee. Two years later we win the BCS title game. He always has that one game but after that he seems to build programs something Miles never had to do. What was Miles record at Okie State in 2004? Just curious?

6. LaSalleAve

Georgia was at full strength, we scored over 40. Couldn't stop anyone because that offense was really good at the time, and had the best statistical quarterback in the history of the SEC. Plus we lost 8 defenders to the NFL.

Ole Miss, Mettenberger threw 3 pics, 2 in the endzone, we score on any of those 3 turnovers we win. Fluke loss. Happens sometimes

Arkansas, LSU won. Not sure what the problem is.

Before this season I predicted 11-2. 10-3 is about right because the Ole Miss loss again was a fluke. Just enjoy being a perennial top 10 team. Watch the UA game tomorrow and all those LSU hats and tell me how horrible miles is. It's not all about what happens for 3 hours on Saturday. It's about the program as a whole, and ultimately wins and losses. LSU is doing pretty damn good.

didit, LSUDad, KyleK and 5 others like this.
  7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Saban is a great coach, and Miles has been a great coach. Miles has been better at LSU than Saban was.

Ask Muschamp, Richt, Jones, Fulmer, Brown, etc how easy it is to average more than 10 wins a year. Ask Saban how easy it was to win 10 games at LSU.

I think all the great coaches will tell you it is never easy. Especially in the SEC and even more especially in the SECW. Go look at the recruiting classes damn near every SEC school brings in each year, then add in LSU losing 11 guys to the NFL. Never in our history have we had this kind of sustained success against the best competition we've ever faced but the coach doesn't get any credit?

Geez, some of you guys think this is much easier than it really is.

tigermark, Jopry, LSUDad and 6 others like this.
  8. lsutygr69

lsutygr69 Founding Member

Where I get upset with the whole thing is how bad we looked on defense this year. We can talk about how Miles is so great at recruiting and development but tell me why we did not reload? Bama had one less person taken in the NFL draft, they reloaded. We looked like we were rebuilding our entire defense. While I am happy with ten wins, we should never have lost to Ole Piss. I also think we should have won the Georgia game.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

The season as a whole was a meandering success, with a historic offense. Bowl win didn't show us picking up where Mett left off, but it let us know how good Mett has been and how good Hill is, it showed the defense making strides, it showed our offense needing work (but in the hands of Cameron), and it was much better than a loss.

Don't know that we replace Hill and Mett, but if we get Fournette and some of the underclassmen don't jump ship, maybe we'll be pretty close. And again, feel good about QB development with Cameron on board.

Should never have lost to big siss, and the D was a big disappointment (another NC left on the field for Miles).

northernvatiger likes this.
  10. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Bottom line: We beat a mediocre Iowa team by a TD with a back-up, true-freshman QB, and our #2 DT out.

Iowa stacked 8-9 guys in the box and we still ran for 250+. :)

didit, LSUDad and TigerTap like this.